Join for free
Page 301 of 370 « First < 201 251 291 299 300 301 302 303 311 351 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:40 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

OGF! What a treat to hear from you! .

Ooo, I do like it when the treadmills are facing the front of the ship . It's become a tradition to be on one when ship leaves port on that first sailing, and it is usually spectacular - bridges, horns, people watching . Plus, that first run allows me to earn the champagne and much of what is offered during the last dinner seating .

I am with you, though, looking at my own reflection, isn't exactly my idea of big fun and whoa, it is stifling! There's a reason we all call it the dreadmill, OGF .

While my favorite place to run is the promenade deck and not the established running tracks (usually overrun with lounge chairs), it usually requires navigating 'round the stern by going up or under stairs to make it work. That said, my all time favorite archived runs are mapped as ovals in the middle of the ocean.

As eleven hours of driving to North Carolina does nothing for fitness (though it sure is fun along the wide open, treelined roads in and out of rain and listening to fab music), I made my way to the gym as a penance for eating the cheese plate from Starbucks .

What I found was a single multi-use machine that was a hodgepodge of cables, weights and benches, that look like they came out of the depths of some medieval torture chamber .

After some head scratching and looking around , I was able to figure out enough that I should be plenty sore tomorrow. Four mile on the treadmill, and I was good to go.

Happy sailing!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 04:22 PM

I did the induction course on the new equipment today and was glad they kept it to a basic level. At least we found out what all the straps, pulleys and attachments are for! I stayed on for a training session and enjoyed using 4 or 5 different things as part of the workout, and to be honest I really felt it after I was finished.

None of the 6 people on the induction with me fancied trying the new squat and benchpress racks and neither did I. I think we found them a bit much for what we need, although some of the younger people already in the gym were trying them out. One part of the new kit that I enjoyed was webbing straps attached to the metal framework of one part of the multigym at one end with a handgrip on each of the opposite ends. You hold the straps, brace your feet and lean back at whatever angle you dare and then pull forwards with your arms. It's sort of like the low row machine but apparently works better on the core muscles. I only leaned back at maybe a 20° to 30° angle as it's surprisingly unsettling leaning back like that, but it was a great exercise.

Looking forward to the next session!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 11:06 PM

Sounds great, Tachyon! I'm sure you'll have a routine in no time. If you forget some of what you learned, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for more lessons. The people who work there really want people trying it and will be glad to help.

I was picturing the new exercise you tried. No doubt that If I tried it, the thing would come loose and I would go careening backwards. Not only did you figure the equipment out out, it sounds like you are working your arms and shoulders in a new way, which is excellent.

After roaming around the Blue Ridge mountains, visiting some topnotch physicians, and making our way to a few ski lodges open to summer guests, my daughter and I are back home, and waiting for the sun to stop broiling this part of the world so we can go run a few.

Now that it's raging hot, I have promise my cardiologist to abide by the research and cut back on my big weekly mileage, down from around 30 miles to 25. That order is is really, really hard to behave .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I was picturing the new exercise you tried. No doubt that If I tried it, the thing would come loose and I would go careening backwards.
It certainly feels odd doing it, and the falling backwards thing is foremost in my mind, lol. I also had visions of me pulling the whole rig over on top of me, which is crazy considering it must weigh a couple of tons.

I'm sorry you had to cut your mileage on doctor's orders, but I wouldn't have thought cutting 5 miles would make much difference over an entire week. Never mind, good luck with your runs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Now that it's raging hot, I have promise my cardiologist to abide by the research and cut back on my big weekly mileage, down from around 30 miles to 25. That order is is really, really hard to behave .
Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

I'm sorry you had to cut your mileage on doctor's orders, but I wouldn't have thought cutting 5 miles would make much difference over an entire week. Never mind, good luck with your runs.
I have to agree with Tachyon Surfermom, I don't think cutting five miles per week will make much difference to your wellbeing one way or the other, except for your gradual diminishing stamina and your ability to run longer when required. I wonder that if you had told him you were running 25 miles per week his orders would have been to cut your mileage to 20.....
Obviously your cardiologist isn't a runner.....

There is some research in the bowels of the internet that suggests that running long and ultra distances has a negative effect on your heart (never done me any harm...)
And I have found to my cost, after having had two heart attacks (and being an old bugger!) that going out running for over an hour takes longer to recover, and doesn't produce the runners high it used to.....More like a runners low!... So these days I try to keep my runs to within the hour, but stick extra days in instead....

After visiting my doctor at 40 back in 1990, he suggested that I might be getting a little old for doing marathon runs around the countryside, and suggested I might take up fishing and stamp collecting...... Following his prognosis over the next couple of years I proceeded to break every record I had previously achieved.... So much for doctors......

So anyway, having to turn out this morning full of cold, I laboured round my five mile course in fifty five minutes and felt surprisingly good. The rain had kept off long enough to produce a very happy run indeed, even though the lane was full of mud I found a way around the miniature lakes and arrived home with reasonably clean shoes.....Always a bonus!.........Happy Days......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

15-06-2019, 01:06 AM

Yes, it's hard to be treated like a statistic, but I don't want to become one either. After some good thought, I've decided that it's the exertion, not the distance that I need to watch. Instead of shaving miles, I've decided that it's better to watch my heart rate on the hottest days and choose times and places so as not to be out there in the most extreme heat. Until I get my daughter flying safely out of the nest, which really isn't that long now, I have to keep the machine going. .

With that in mind, I just returned in liquid form, flowing back from a challenging five miler. So much for behaving myself!

Step aerobics is next. There's a little red evening gown I have my eye on for the Italian cruise, so I need to get cracking. Consideration for other people's appetites and all .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 07:42 AM

Morning all you roadrunners, surf queens and iron hammerers! It's good to be back in here at last

Like Bob, it's always a bit of a marathon catching up with you all after being away for a while, but never a chore finding out what you've all been doing.

Bob - Great to hear you had a lovely cruise, I'll be looking at your photos in a few minutes.
Nice also to see you had at least some running on the treadmill, an awful piece of kit...but when needs must etc. Nice to see that you're back on solid ground though with your five+ milers once again

Suzie - Pleased to hear that your latest trip up to North Carolina went well for your daughter's treatment. Best wishes to her. You'll also be glad to be running and surfing once again - nice little session on that medieval gym machine though!

Tachyon - Good to see you're getting to grips (literally) with that new piece of kit in your gym there. There's some similar apparatus at mine which is basically a network of straps, climbing bars and pulleys and things. I stay away from it, though some of the tension exercises do look quite appetising for stretching etc. May give them a go someday

- - - - - - - - - -

The trouble with being away on holiday is that you end up sitting down all the time, unless the weather is fine and you can go out for walks (but it wasn’t!). I arrived back yesterday and was itching all week to do some gym work but obviously I didn’t want to leave my wife in the apartment on her own reading a book while I hit the iron, besides I was on holiday so I made the most of the bad weather we both and still enjoyed the break very much. [There are some photos in my album, btw)

Arriving back a day early yesterday I wasted no time at all unpacking my suitcase and packing my gym bag and setting off out to the gym for a desperately required workout. You tend to get fat and lethargic on holiday and I really needed to give my joints and muscles some work. A good selection of varied exercises over an hour and a half and I was back in the swing of it.

*NOTE* From now on I’ll included the extra ‘tension paused’ reps into the figures, so these extra reps are now added to the equation. It’s just quicker to type out!

Friday 14 June 2019: Catch-up. 1hr. 30mins.

(All weights in kgs)

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
10x40, 13x50, 8x60

DB press, incline bench:
10x22’s, 11x26’s, 10x30’s

DB curl (across chest), alt.:
6x12, 6x12, 6x12
6x12, 6x12, 6x12
*These six sets were done continuously without a break, swapping over to the opposite arm after three sets.

DB preacher curl (standing over bench), alt.:
10x14, 10x18, 7x20

Flt delt dec:
10x80, 16x95, 14x110

Shoulder press:
10x50, 11x60, 8x70

Incline leg press (feet low):
20x120, 15x120, 10x120
Incline leg press (feet high):
20x100, 15x100, 10x100
+ 5 deep (2 sets)
*These two main sets were done without dropping the weight but holding it then carrying on with more reps. The two final sets of 5 reps were done by going very deep with the legs.

E-Z preacher curl, seated:
6x28 – pause – 6x28 – pause – 6x28 – pause – 6x28 – pause – 6x28
*A very difficult exercise. Six reps five times over with just a short breath and continuing. Puts enormous strain on the biceps.

Concentration curl, alt.:
4x14, 4x16, 4x18, 7x20, 4x22
*Curling 22kgs with one arm for a four reps isn’t too easy these days but I managed it. Still got the power to do that though, so that’s good to know!

Tricep extensions:
10x50, 16x60, 12x80

Arm curl (machine), both arms simultaneously:
20x25

Not a bad workout after a week with no exercise whatsoever (apart from some hill walking!). I’ll venture back to the gym this morning for another go at it all.

Thanks for reading.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 10:13 AM

Good to have you back Floydy, had a look at your holiday photos and am well impressed. I'm glad you could salvage some good bits from a rainy week in Scarborough, I know from past experience that when it rains in North Yorkshire IT RAINS!.....

A good workout considering a week away, I'm always amazed at the amount of reps and weight that you and Tachyon can shift.....

Not a running day for me today, but after seeing the sunshine pouring through the window (instead of water) I couldn't resisting lacing up my shoes and taking Mrs Fox for a walk down the lane......

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good to have you back Floydy, had a look at your holiday photos and am well impressed. I'm glad you could salvage some good bits from a rainy week in Scarborough, I know from past experience that when it rains in North Yorkshire IT RAINS!.....

A good workout considering a week away, I'm always amazed at the amount of reps and weight that you and Tachyon can shift.....

Not a running day for me today, but after seeing the sunshine pouring through the window (instead of water) I couldn't resisting lacing up my shoes and taking Mrs Fox for a walk down the lane......

Nice little walk there, Bob. And it doesn't look too muddy either. It's incredible how the sun comes out when we come back from our holidays isn't it? It's beautiful here now
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Just a very short additional session to round-up the upper body work I attacked yesterday. These exercises are ‘optional extras’ to my normal routine.

Saturday 15 June 2019: Catch-up (part 2) 30mins.

(All weights in kgs)

Seated row:
10x41, 12x47

Smith press, flat bench:
10x40, 10x50

Chest press:
10x50, 12x60

E-Z preacher curl, seated:
10x38, 8x43, 6x48
10x18 – pause – 10x18 – pause – 10x18

Tricep extensions:
10x50, 20x60, 8x80
20x30

Ab crunch:
50x30

I’m now in the process up dating my ‘bodybuilding’-style programme which will include fixed weights on all exercises, adding weight to my template for each subsequent session. This will bring back some sort of structure back to my training, i.e. having targets to reach each time instead of tending to make it up on the spot.
Tomorrow or Monday I’ll do a legs session.

Thanks for reading

Page 301 of 370 « First < 201 251 291 299 300 301 302 303 311 351 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top