Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Anyone thought about emigrating elsewhere?

Where to?

I love the idea of either travelling going from place to place every 3 to 6 months, or moving to somewhere like Spain for a couple of years... or anywhere relatively close and sunny

What about you? Are any of you living the dream? Perhaps you've been tempted? Interested in hearing from you!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:27 PM

Re: Anyone thought about emigrating elsewhere?

I have been an expat all my adult life .
I moved to South America when I was 20 and then lived in the Far East for over two decades . From there I went to the Middle East them back to Central American and finally to the carribean .
Now we are back in the uk and it feels weird it doesn't feel like home .
We are thinking of moving to Spain
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:33 PM

My wife and I are very much family people. Always have been, always will be. We have always enjoyed our foreign holidays but are always glad to get back home as we miss our extended family. While we would love to live somewhere the sun shines every day it will never happen. I'll settle for a few weeks away each year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:35 PM

Nope. I'm quite happy where I am thanks, Azz.
Never been a roamer.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:36 PM

We have roamed too much it's difficult to settle .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:41 PM

Nope much too many things to do in this country for us.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Where to?

I love the idea of either travelling going from place to place every 3 to 6 months, or moving to somewhere like Spain for a couple of years... or anywhere relatively close and sunny

What about you? Are any of you living the dream? Perhaps you've been tempted? Interested in hearing from you!
I did, 50 years ago. Glad I did and yes I am living the dream.

Though it took a couple of years to realise it. I originally went to Australia because it was, in my mind, £10 for a two year "holiday". I had just finished my apprenticeship with GPO Telephones, I loved travelling and Australia wanted me.

Spent the two years working for half the year and travelling for the other half (give or take) mostly hitching up and down the east coast from Northern Queensland down to Melbourne and Adelaide, made great friends, met interesting people, saw the Australia of the 60s etc etc (mostly dirt roads in those days).

The two years was wonderful but I returned as I had planned and worked as a Technical Officer in the PO Tower in London (I was there when the IRA bombed it). In 1971/2 (ish) I decided to take the hippy trail across Europe, the Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan to India and Nepal. Spent a year having far too good a time travelling. When I ran short of money in Calcutta it was a choice of flying back to the UK or going on to Australia (those were the archaic days when you could only take £50 out of the country and Britons were the poor men of Europe).

As it happened I got a really cheap flight to Sydney because I thought I could earn more money there than in the UK.

When I stepped out of Sydney airport I had an epiphany, I suddenly felt like I was "home", it was the oddest feeling.

Funny thing was that I hadn't particularly missed Australia while I was back in the UK even though I had such pleasant memories of my two years there. However when I returned to Sydney this time I immediately wanted to stay ... the beautiful weather, the open spaces, beautiful city etc

Worked for a while and saved sufficient money, flew back to the UK, sorted out my affairs, voted NO in the EU referendum, endured the three day week and the power cuts before going back to Australia to stay.

Have only been back to the UK twice since and each visit did nothing to change my mind about wanting to live in Australia. If anything my first visit to the dismal Thatcher's Britain made me realise what a good move I had made.

BTW that is very much the truncated version of a long time ago. The full story involves working in other places and travelling with family and kids.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 12:17 AM

Fair play Bruce,

I wouldn't mind living in Aus tbh - getting too old now though and they don't make it easy.

I've also always had a thing about living in one of the southern states of the USA - Texas maybe for example.
Again, dragged my heels for too long

We are looking at retiring in either Hungary or Slovakia.
Won't be for some time yet though...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 12:18 AM

I’ve never fancied living anywhere else, I love Dublin town too much, spent all me life here and had a great time, the people are priceless. My two children moved away when they were in their twenties, stayed away for a few years then came back to settle in Dublin, we did not encourage them to return in any way, they both got married here and have children, I think they just love the place too. The future is looking bright here, things are happening fast now for the young folks in Ireland, a lot of big companies expected to move here in the near future, The education standards are very high here with the result the school leavers are highly educated and prepared to take up skilled jobs in every sector.

Interesting note. 50,000 British people have applied for Irish passports since the referendum in Britain. The population here is 4.5 million at present.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 12:21 AM

Wales Pembrokeshire
I love it but fear I am too old to move now.
It is also too far for me to drive to see the family these days.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top