Join for free
Page 11 of 23 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:18 PM

Re: At What Point Do You Suddenly Become An Old Person?

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

Right, here's the necessary trick... don't say I didn't warn you it's silly, that's why you'll remember it!

You spell it out loud (or in your head)...

N E CEE E DOUBLE-ESS A R Y

But when you say the CEE you raise your voice a couple of octaves so it comes out a sqeak!

Now spell it out loud remembering to squeak the CEE... you'll always get it right now

Try it, and you'll see!
I don't dare tell you how I remember to spell it.

(It involves having done Latin at school!)
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Their They're Pyxell.

I need something for the shock, now!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:24 PM

I remember when I was about 18 or 19 I walked past a woman and her young daughter in the street
The daughter said
"That lady is pretty mummy"
I honestly looked behind me as I was wondering who she was talking about!
I felt like saying "but only yesterday I was a girl like you!"

I suppose the same thing will happen when I get a similar comment with the word "old" before the lady!
I don't suppose it'll be long ... and I dont think the sentence will contain the word pretty either!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
OMG! I am mad, because do you know why? It's my blasted stupid ***** spellchecker that keeps doing things like that!

I usually have to correct the spellchecker. Grr grr grr!
It keeps changing its to it's as well! Grr grr grr.

I missed that last one and now it's set in stone! I shall cry!
Perhaps try turning your irritating spellchecker off then, especially as you are having to correct it?

Being concerned with words and spelling all my working life I am something of a pedant when it comes to spelling. For that reason I notice that even after reading as I type the spellchecker tends to do what it wants, making complete nonsense of some words. What I tend to do when I've had enough of this is to turn the spellchecker off. The one problem with that though is that it's on by default, so each time it would be necessary to remember to turn if off again!
Pyxell
South of England

18-05-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Perhaps try turning your irritating spellchecker off then, especially as you are having to correct it?

Being concerned with words and spelling all my working life I am something of a pedant when it comes to spelling. For that reason I notice that even after reading as I type the spellchecker tends to do what it wants, making complete nonsense of some words. What I tend to do when I've had enough of this is to turn the spellchecker off. The one problem with that though is that it's on by default, so each time it would be necessary to remember to turn if off again!
Because I use an iPad, my fingers often press the wrong keys, so the spellchecker is useful for correcting those or at least drawing my attention to them. I usually proofread as well, but occasionally something slips through the net.

By the way, the programme guide on my TV recorder has omitted three apostrophes in its description of 'Ghosts'. I noticed that today when I went to watch it.
Very naughty.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Some people look really young from the back... then they turn round!
They usually have long flowing hair and are wearing skinny jeans.... and that’s just the men!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:49 PM

Never mind Pyxell, I was only having a giggle

Console yourself with the fact that the word responsibility is misspelled (or misspelt, whichever you prefer) on 46 million Australian banknotes!!
Pyxell
South of England

18-05-2019, 05:52 PM

Never mind Pyxell, I was only having a giggle

Console yourself with the fact that the word responsibility is misspelled (or misspelt, whichever you prefer) on 46 million Australian banknotes!!
I'm glad you pointed it out! At least I was able to 'xplain!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I'm glad you pointed it out! At least I was able to 'xplain!
Don't suppose anyone else noticed!
Pyxell
South of England

18-05-2019, 06:01 PM

Don't suppose anyone else noticed!
That's the sad thing, though.

Or maybe they're too polite to mention it!

Page 11 of 23 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top