Join for free
Page 3 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Re: I'd like to see you....

I have a picture of me on my profile I change it every now and then for a new one...to be honest I don't think it matters having a picture or not... I have a mental image of people just from what they post here ...ok I might be wrong with how I perceive them but to me it's who they are online and I'll probably never meet them anyway so what does it matter.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 08:00 AM

I’m of the opinion people see me when I am out and about shopping ..whatever, everyone has their phones at the ready an able to snap my likeness. This being so I don’t see a problem popping a pic on a profile .

I think the older generation are more suspicious an have a problem with cyber identity. Whilst younger peeps have embraced image identification .
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You are what you post, not what your avatar is. People can judge what kind of person you are by the way you present yourself in your writing.
Not too sure bout that Judd,

I reckon people who dont show a pic are much more confident

to be bolder in what they say or reply than those who show their face who may he more polite & reserved.

Just to add....it dosent bother me at all either way.

And judds mug shot cheers my day no end
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 08:36 AM

Wow I am fascinated by some opinions on here!

1) I have posted with Judd for a few years, but never met him. We all know his avatar is not really him, but his posting skills are good & I am aware that he has always been well respected on here and other forums.

2) For anybody who thinks they can say what they think, if they don't show who they are, It makes me think if they are like the people in life, who are nice to your face but different when discussing you with others?

3) I have always used a photo of myself, but I think it is up to the individual.
Security wise, photos mean nothing..... I had an internet Pen pal who sent me lots if photos of himself and his son over the 3 months we communicated. He was nice looking, had a lovely child and what appeared to be a nice house.
He was not a nice man, but a romance scammer from Africa who had used stolen photos of an unknown man... that I still have on my PC. Never trust somebody because you can see what they look like...as they may not be the person in the photo
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

. Never trust somebody because you can see what they look like...as they may not be the person in the photo
I don't think that applies to anybody on here. Some I see on face-book so I know they're who they say they are.

Hmm - maybe there's the odd one.. Is it you Floydy? Are you really a little wimp and not that handsome muscular man at all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 08:47 AM

I don't think it matters. An avatar is just a quick way of seeing who's posted what.
As Twink says, a photo could be of anybody, some genuine photos could be years old anyway or airbrushed/ photoshopped etc.
If you want to see what folk look like there's often a photo on their profile.
A lot of cyber bullying is about how people look.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 08:50 AM

I just put it up there to boast!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ahh, but what about those that have a pic of a face for their avatar and we believe it’s them, when it isn’t?
Maybe, they are worse than someone who doesn’t show a pic?
I make you right Art people may well not be who their pictures are.
Judd looks like that George Clooney fella and you remind me of that page 3 lass a few years back forgot her name now,not that I was ever bovvered looking at her name, and Floyd puts me in mind of that guy from that series of jail breaks..
Mind I only ever look at the small pictures so if I made them larger they may well look completely different.

I put my scales of justice as mine because I am Libra but I cannot for the life of me post a picture from my camera or computer these days.
I got sick of trying.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I don't think that applies to anybody on here. Some I see on face-book so I know they're who they say they are.

Hmm - maybe there's the odd one.. Is it you Floydy? Are you really a little wimp and not that handsome muscular man at all.
Don't be fooled Carol! I have found 3 scammers in the last month, on another forum, & receive regular notes of thanks for finding them. They could even do it on Facebook if they wanted to!
Thanks to the 3 month wait, to use PMs on OFF, the scammers are less likely to come on here because they want to make friends quickly & get the money they require faster..... but that doesn't mean they will never try!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
But people may find you more honest and talk to you more freely if you were more personable, Annie?

I see people with photos of strange mathematical diagrams as their avatar and think to myself "I could never trust this person, he's not genuine".

It's only your face, so why on earth not let's see it?
I can live with the deprivation. I've posted pics on other forums I've used years ago and I even went to a few meets with a chat room back in the day they were the rage.

But then I went through a phase of posting to a very large international one where some members started to be harassed. One or two of the participants found out who they were and where they lived, started phoning them in the middle of the night and making threats. I was convinced someone hacked my computer because I suddenly had a virus in a language from the same part of the world as the people harassing the other members. So I've changed my mind about being so open on such sites...

Page 3 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top