Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:09 PM

Glow Worms

Have you ever seen them?
I never have, but I'd love to.

I've just been reading about them tonight, and it seems sadly, they are yet another species in decline.

The article said they used to be found in places like disused railway lines, unmown churchyards, and nature reserves but rarely now.

These little critters are not a worm, they are a beetle and I found some of the info very interesting.

The larvae look like a cross between a caterpillar and a millipede and live for about 2 years. They shelter under stones and debris during the day.
Their tails have white bristle-like pieces that are used to remove slime from their bodies after they've eaten slugs and snails.
The adults though, only live for up to three weeks. They don't have any mouth parts to eat with. They are only here to mate and breed.

It's the last three segments of female's tails that glow, usually in June and July, and they do this to attract a mate.

These 'lights' are close to the ground, so the females climb up grassy stems and turn their light upwards so she is more visible.
They can also turn their lights on and off when they want to.

The Wildlife Trust has a list of sites still, and on their website . . . . (www.glowworms.org.uk ) . . . there are links to current sightings and even Glow Worm Walks.

Such interesting little creatures I thought.
I'd really love to see one, but doubt I ever will.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:17 PM

Re: Glow Worms

Yes when I was on holiday in New Zealand, at Franz Josef, the driver/courier took us all to where they are usually seen. Some of us had torches and we had to keep them pointing low to the ground, just to be able to see where we were walking, and so as not to disturb them. A wonderful sight and very humbling to see.

The tour was February/March, so don't know of a 'season' down there.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:21 PM

Ooh, how lovely.
You are lucky, Jazzi.

Apparently there used to be some on Hook Norton, in Oxfordshire, but not any more.

Sad so many things are disappearing isn't it.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:29 AM

Waitomo Caves are extraordinary, located near the thermal area of Rotorua in New Zealand.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:30 AM

That’s really cool ciderman.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Waitomo Caves are extraordinary, located near the thermal area of Rotorua in New Zealand.

Wow. Good picture Ciderman.

I wonder if that is where Jazzi went? She said she saw them in NZ too.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Mups, being somewhat older now, I can admit when younger I thought all the stars that can be seen in the skies was not true, probably because I was a city child where less stars are seen.
I also thought glow worms were only in fantasy land.

Now, of course I now both are very true. I too wish I could see them.

Jazzi, how lovely you've seen them!

Brilliant picture Ciderman - looks almost magical.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Excellent, Mr C
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Have you ever seen them?
I never have, but I'd love to.

I've just been reading about them tonight, and it seems sadly, they are yet another species in decline.

The article said they used to be found in places like disused railway lines, unmown churchyards, and nature reserves but rarely now.

These little critters are not a worm, they are a beetle and I found some of the info very interesting.

The larvae look like a cross between a caterpillar and a millipede and live for about 2 years. They shelter under stones and debris during the day.
Their tails have white bristle-like pieces that are used to remove slime from their bodies after they've eaten slugs and snails.
The adults though, only live for up to three weeks. They don't have any mouth parts to eat with. They are only here to mate and breed.

It's the last three segments of female's tails that glow, usually in June and July, and they do this to attract a mate.

These 'lights' are close to the ground, so the females climb up grassy stems and turn their light upwards so she is more visible.
They can also turn their lights on and off when they want to.

The Wildlife Trust has a list of sites still, and on their website . . . . (www.glowworms.org.uk ) . . . there are links to current sightings and even Glow Worm Walks.

Such interesting little creatures I thought.
I'd really love to see one, but doubt I ever will.
Thanks for that Mups. sadly I have never seen one in real life or a firefly. Interesting creatures.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 07:24 PM

Only seen them once here (mid-Wales). It was about 20 years ago and we were all out looking for a stray heifer on a June evening. Of course they may still be about down the lane, but these days I don't tend to wander about in the dark - not because I'm scared, just in case I fall over!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top