Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Re: Glow Worms

I've never seen a Glow Worm and I wouldn't have know what they look like until I looked it up just now...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Wow. Good picture Ciderman.

I wonder if that is where Jazzi went? She said she saw them in NZ too.
Now come along, Mupsy...do please pay attention! We were in Franz Josef at the time, which is on the South Island. I did visit Rotorua (north island) though, but we were probably not near to any, or Alan might not have known of their whereabouts.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Now come along, Mupsy...do please pay attention! We were in Franz Josef at the time, which is on the South Island. I did visit Rotorua (north island) though, but we were probably not near to any, or Alan might not have known of their whereabouts.

Jazzi, I'm lucky if I know where I parked my car most days, I'd never know where Franz Josef was.
I'm useless.

Sweetsue, you are so lucky to have seen them where you live, even though it was a good while ago.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 08:35 AM

I haven't got a picture of Franz Joseph but the next glacier is Fox Glacier. To get the scale right - see the people in the marked area.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 11:32 AM

I saw some in Africa and in USA but never here. It's sad they are disappearing.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
I haven't got a picture of Franz Joseph but the next glacier is Fox Glacier. To get the scale right - see the people in the marked area.
We were taken to this bit so we could walk along and take photos. Some on our tour went up on the helicopter to see the glacier close up.
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 07:58 PM

As a kid my parents had taken me and a friend on holiday to Perranporth in Cornwall and at night we could see the bright glow of the glow worms in the grass, so my friend and I decided to get a jam jar and made ourselves a "glow lamp" by collecting a load of the glow worms in the jar and it looked quite good. We were told to leave the jar outside before we went in for bed, the next morning we were up early to see our glow worms. When we looked in the jar we were horrified to see it was full of beetles, no more glow worms for us !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by rcs60h ->
As a kid my parents had taken me and a friend on holiday to Perranporth in Cornwall and at night we could see the bright glow of the glow worms in the grass, so my friend and I decided to get a jam jar and made ourselves a "glow lamp" by collecting a load of the glow worms in the jar and it looked quite good. We were told to leave the jar outside before we went in for bed, the next morning we were up early to see our glow worms. When we looked in the jar we were horrified to see it was full of beetles, no more glow worms for us !

Oh dear, one very dissillusioned little boy!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 11:42 AM

Would love to see glow worms. My mum did as a girl in Ireland but I've never heard of anyone else.
Such a shame that these little creatures disappear without us realising at the time.
I wonder about moths. They used to drive into the car headlights at night time, but seldom seen now during night driving.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 02:01 PM

There are sighting in different areas on this twitter link from 2018 and previously.

https://twitter.com/ukglowworms

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top