Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 09:25 AM

Re: Do you find celebrity chefs patronising?

Remember when working for an American company in Jermyn Street, London, My larger than life American Boss took me to lunch at Wilton's in Jermyn Street. This Shropshire gal had no idea how the other half dined!
I let him order for both of us, the starter was soup, and a complete shock to me as I put my first spoonful of cold Gaspasho into my mouth. I'd never even heard of it! I was just about to say "My soup is stone cold" when I saw how he was happily supping away on his own soup. Phew! Then he ordered Paella for the main course, but it had squid in it which almost made me gag. I still don't know how I managed to get through that meal.

Suffice to say, I refused a dessert and we finished with coffee.

For this country bumkin at the time, it was an ordeal rather than an enjoyable treat. But... I learned something new at least.

As for favourite Chefs. Love Tom Sturridge and Raymond Blanc. but give me down to earth Hairy Bikers any day.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 09:40 AM

I might have missed it but has no-one mentioned James Martin? Can't believe that.....blooming lovely he is.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Remember when working for an American company in Jermyn Street, London, My larger than life American Boss took me to lunch at Wilton's in Jermyn Street. This Shropshire gal had no idea how the other half dined!
I let him order for both of us, the starter was soup, and a complete shock to me as I put my first spoonful of cold Gaspasho into my mouth. I'd never even heard of it! I was just about to say "My soup is stone cold" when I saw how he was happily supping away on his own soup. Phew! Then he ordered Paella for the main course, but it had squid in it which almost made me gag. I still don't know how I managed to get through that meal.

Suffice to say, I refused a dessert and we finished with coffee.

For this country bumkin at the time, it was an ordeal rather than an enjoyable treat. But... I learned something new at least.

As for favourite Chefs. Love Tom Sturridge and Raymond Blanc. but give me down to earth Hairy Bikers any day.

That reminds me of the first time I ate at a Greek Restaurant in the West End in the 70's. It was proper Greek and even let customers smash plates in the fireplace. While I was waiting for my food to arrive, i spotted a plate of green beans in the centre of the table, so I stuffed one in my mouth and chewed it....

.... It was a chilli.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top