Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 02:00 AM

Re: Foxhunting Vandals?

Disgusting! People who can deliberately hurt animals are only one step away from treating humans in the same way.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Disgusting! People who can deliberately hurt animals are only one step away from treating humans in the same way.
Very true!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Reading this made me sick to my stomach. I have always been disgusted with this cruel, arrogant and pompous practice. A bunch of upper class idiots actually getting dressed up and riding horses with packs of dogs to hunt down one little fox then having champagne and cucumber sandwiches afterwards. But this was beyond the pale. I donate regularly to WIRES (wildlife rescue service) My house backs on to bushland and we're always getting injured or sick animals and birds near our fenceline. WIRES takes them to Local vets who take care of them pro bono until they're well and release them back into the bush. Or they gently euthanase them if they are too far gone. Even foxes which are, admittedly, a colossal pest in Australia, are treated humanely. One "punishment" I would suggest for these A holes is for them to be "transported" to Oz for a few months, taken out to a cattle station and put on a real working horse. They would be in the saddle 10 hours a day in the burning sun and there would be no champagne and soft bed at the manor at the end of it. I'd love to see that.
There is another way matey - take them out into the bush, cover them in a strong smelling scent, and then allow the 'hunt' to track them down armed with cattle prods - it would teach not to hunt again I'm sure - aversion therapy !!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 10:07 PM

Reading this made me sick to my stomach. I have always been disgusted with this cruel, arrogant and pompous practice. A bunch of upper class idiots actually getting dressed up and riding horses with packs of dogs to hunt down one little fox then having champagne and cucumber sandwiches afterwards. But this was beyond the pale. I donate regularly to WIRES (wildlife rescue service) My house backs on to bushland and we're always getting injured or sick animals and birds near our fenceline. WIRES takes them to Local vets who take care of them pro bono until they're well and release them back into the bush. Or they gently euthanase them if they are too far gone. Even foxes which are, admittedly, a colossal pest in Australia, are treated humanely. One "punishment" I would suggest for these A holes is for them to be "transported" to Oz for a few months, taken out to a cattle station and put on a real working horse. They would be in the saddle 10 hours a day in the burning sun and there would be no champagne and soft bed at the manor at the end of it. I'd love to see that.
While I agree with much of your sentiments.
There is little class about fox hunters upper or otherwise .
They are just people who have money and no concern for wild animals.
I must say though most fox hunters horses in the uk are kept well.
The horses are fit and well cared are usually in first class condition .
I have experience of horses in Australia
I am afraid I dont any Australians who spend 10 hours a day working in the saddle .
I certainly hope they don't do so on one horse .

Australians working horses are often roughly treated and many Australian stockmen are rubbish riders .

Australians hunt foxes too usually by 'lamping' it's only merit is that it's if the hunters are good shots is that it quick.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Muddy, I don't much about their horses, but that same hunt that I put the link to earlier, don't seem to have much in the way of high regard for their horses - or the hounds either.

I was told of a woman last year, who had her horse shot by the hunt because she didn't want to pay veterinary bills for him. I can't remember his ailment, but as far as I know it didn't warrant being killed.

Also any hounds that don't come up to scratch, or are a little slow, they are shot by the hunt too - no doubt they are fed to the hounds like the foxes and horses too.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 11:16 PM

I am afraid I dont any Australians who spend 10 hours a day working in the saddle .

Australians working horses are often roughly treated and many Australian stockmen are rubbish riders .

Australians hunt foxes too usually by 'lamping' it's only merit is that it's if the hunters are good shots is that it quick.

I take all your points Muddy. Thanks for your comments. No of course not one horse. I guess life is a lot tougher for a horse on a station than it is in rich person's stable. Maybe I should have said 10 hour working days rather than "in the saddle" I sure have known people who work ten hour days on cattle stations. But I think we're all on the same side here. I could argue with you but that's not the point here is it? I wasn't wanting to start an "Australia Vs England" thing. And I certainly would not mean to claim that there is not animal cruelty here as there is everywhere else on the planet. I was just suggesting a hard shock and some hard and dirty work for some comfortable, cruel bastards who need one. And..as if that would ever really happen anyway! One question. I would like to know what constitutes a "rubbish rider" Just curious. I don't ride myself. You obviously do. So I am all ears.
What did you do here?..Were you a jillaroo?
PS..Love your pictures. Were some of them taken in Oz?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Muddy, I don't much about their horses, but that same hunt that I put the link to earlier, don't seem to have much in the way of high regard for their horses - or the hounds either.

I was told of a woman last year, who had her horse shot by the hunt because she didn't want to pay veterinary bills for him. I can't remember his ailment, but as far as I know it didn't warrant being killed.

Also any hounds that don't come up to scratch, or are a little slow, they are shot by the hunt too - no doubt they are fed to the hounds like the foxes and horses too.

Yes Mups you are right .
I can only speak for the horses around here which all look in good condition . They do hammer them on the roads though .
You are certainly right about the hounds they are not pets yet they are affectionate animals .
When their hunting life is over that's it .
It's an anarchanism .
However a drag hunt ( not a fox hunt pretending to be a drag hunt ) fulfill all the dog ,chase ,and jumps and it's faster without killing a fox .
I don't know why they bother to keep up this old fashioned charade.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2019, 10:21 AM

I take all your points Muddy. Thanks for your comments. No of course not one horse. I guess life is a lot tougher for a horse on a station than it is in rich person's stable. Maybe I should have said 10 hour working days rather than "in the saddle" I sure have known people who work ten hour days on cattle stations. But I think we're all on the same side here. I could argue with you but that's not the point here is it? I wasn't wanting to start an "Australia Vs England" thing. And I certainly would not mean to claim that there is not animal cruelty here as there is everywhere else on the planet. I was just suggesting a hard shock and some hard and dirty work for some comfortable, cruel bastards who need one. And..as if that would ever really happen anyway! One question. I would like to know what constitutes a "rubbish rider" Just curious. I don't ride myself. You obviously do. So I am all ears.
What did you do here?..Were you a jillaroo?
PS..Love your pictures. Were some of them taken in Oz?
What a charming post Keezoy
No I have never been a Jillaroo but I have purchased riding horses from Australia and I have seen the stockmen ride .
And I have ridden many Australian horses.

To me a rubbish rider is one who is not at one with his horse and just hauls him about by the reins instead of by balance and training .

Because of out British influence the snaffle bit and English saddle ( modified in the Aussie stock saddle ) are use different mainly .
They are not conducive with finesse and long hours in the saddle .

Also many of the Australian horses are descended from English throughbreds which are fast but not as handy as the Iberian breeds .

Ie therefore one sees the horsemen of Spain South American Mexico and indeed the cowboys of NA have a different more balanced way of riding .

However doesn't mean that they are all kind either far from it .
Alas cruelty is everywhere and horses are our slaves .

They also hunt and kill animals
It must be a cave man instinct .

Most people hate the whole English hunting scene with all its connotations of class and money .

It really is as Oscar Wilde so famously put it .

'The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable .'
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Muddy, my guess is, most, if not all, of these hunt kennels keep foxes imprisoned on their premises.
I say this because where else would they get urine from for the trail scent?
I have also been told they use captive foxes for training the young hounds on.

I am not a fan of foxes exactly, they were a continual menace when I kept a lot of poultry and waterfowl, but I do loathe the way these hunt people work.

I also detest the killing of badgers and the annual bird shoots too.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Muddy, my guess is, most, if not all, of these hunt kennels keep foxes imprisoned on their premises.
I say this because where else would they get urine from for the trail scent?
I have also been told they use captive foxes for training the young hounds on.

I am not a fan of foxes exactly, they were a continual menace when I kept a lot of poultry and waterfowl, but I do loathe the way these hunt people work.

I also detest the killing of badgers and the annual bird shoots too.

I believe that this fox urine thing is called 'trail hunting .'
It's not a real drag .
Yes where do they get fox urine from ?

Dargs use some sort of artificial scent mixed with oil.
Unfortunately where I live they do kill birds and the hunt hunts openly .There are still badgers about so some must have survived the cull.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top