Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2019, 10:24 PM

Re: Waitrose hand held scanner

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
That's exactly what I was thinking about these hand held device.

How do they work?

I was looking at them in Sainsburys today.

Offenders are usually nabbed when they claim the Nectar Points.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If you say so.

Everything comes to he who Waitroses.
You should sell that phrase to Waitrose for their ads! Brilliant!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Aren't these hand-held devices easy to fiddle? At least with the self-scanning tills the item you have just scanned is detected when you put it in the bagging area (a glorified weighing scale) and items not scanned are detected by extra weigh being added that hasn't been accounted for.

What anti-theft features are there with a hand-held scanner?

Asking for a friend
They have random checks.

Sometimes the computer demands that every item is rescanned, sometimes it's the first so many items out of the bag, sometimes it's items up to a certain total.

I also think that cameras are monitored, and anyone looking suspicious is also checked.

When I first started using them, I got a check every now and then. The checks are no hassle, and as I said, sometimes it's only say, ten items at random they need to check. The assistants do it all very quickly and repack for you.

I can't remember the last time I had a Waitrose check.
I'll probably get one now.

With Sainsbury's, the second time I used it I had a random check of a small number of items. Took no time at all.

There may well be other ways they monitor it, but if there are, they are secret!

As long as you check that the item has come up on the handset screen, it's fine. If an item won't scan, (cheese used to be a bugger, but is much better these days), you leave it out of your bag and tell the assistant at the checkout......you get asked on the computer if everything scanned ok.

For me, it's far more convenient than using the conveyor belts, as I hate unloading the trolley and repacking, and I loathe the self check-out machines with a vengeance.
Plus I love seeing the running total spent.....very useful when you have a voucher for so much off a certain amount of spend.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
That's exactly what I was thinking about these hand held device.

How do they work?

I was looking at them in Sainsburys today.
Pauline, like everything, the first time you use one, it'll take longer and you might run into problems as you get used to it. I found the Sainsbury one trickier than the Waitrose one, due to losing the wifi sometimes (you have to touch the 'ok' on the screen if you lose it, but it doesn't tell you that!), and due to the fact that when you scan something, it bleeps, but don't rely on the bleep...check that the item has registered on the handset, because sometimes it doesn't!

As said previously, I never had those problems with the Waitrose one, only with the Sainsbury one.

But once you're used to it, it's great!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Anyone else noticed that the noise it makes sounds like 'Only you' by Yazzoo?
Longy, This thread has surprised me? I thought you and your wife had found Waitrose too expensive? Have you changed your mind now?

I have never seen these handheld scanners in my local Waitrose store or anyone using one. I will have a look next time..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Longy, This thread has surprised me? I thought you and your wife had found Waitrose too expensive? Have you changed your mind now?

I have never seen these handheld scanners in my local Waitrose store or anyone using one. I will have a look next time..
Waitrose is expensive but you do get things you can't get elsewhere. The quality is better than Sainsburys for instance but you have to pay for it. We only go to Waitrose occasionally but I can't remember being anti- Waitrose tbh.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 11:58 AM

There is a whole bank of handsets just inside the main door/entrance usually.

You need a Waitrose reward card thing in order to register for a handset.

In Sainsbury's you need a nectar card.

As for Waitrose being expensive, it really does depend on what you buy and what you like. I find it is on a par with Sainsbury's, price-wise, sometimes cheaper, sometimes more expensive.....swings and roundabouts. They do the price comparison thing too, and I keep a look out for special offers.

Last week, my favourite loorolls (16-pack) were £2 cheaper than the Sainsbury price. They go up and down like a yoyo!

Although I don't shop exclusively in Waitrose at all, (I use four other sources as well), they are one of the best stores for ethics, which is important to me.
Plus a big draw is the handset thing, which I guess you know by now is something I really like!

Waitrose is expensive but you do get things you can't get elsewhere. The quality is better than Sainsburys for instance but you have to pay for it. We only go to Waitrose occasionally but I can't remember being anti- Waitrose tbh.
Yes, some of their ready meals are more expensive, but as Longdogs says, they are nicer!
Some I don't like, some I do!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 12:04 PM

We got a waitrose card and I think it entitles us to a free newspaper and a free coffee or something. Just one coffee mind you and you have to take your own cup and saucer and your own cream bun.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 12:08 PM

We got a waitrose card and I think it entitles us to a free newspaper and a free coffee or something. Just one coffee mind you and you have to take your own cup and saucer and your own cream bun.
Yeah, but you have to spend something even if it’s only pence to get the free beverage and £10 to get a free newspaper.

Some people just go in with their cups, have the drink and don’t buy anything! I couldn’t do that.
Pyxell
South of England

13-06-2019, 12:09 PM

You get a free paper if you spend a certain amount.....not sure what it is...£5 or £10, maybe.

I didn't realise, and one day I noticed a deduction at the end of my receipt, and had to ask what it was for! Had a pleasant surprise!

Yes, you get free coffee but you have to take your own mug. They stopped doing single-use cups a short while ago.
I don't like their coffee though!

You get a china cup if you buy a coffee.

Edit...crossed posts
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

13-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Yeah, but you have to spend something even if it’s only pence to get the free beverage and £10 to get a free newspaper.

Some people just go in with their cups, have the drink and don’t buy anything! I couldn’t do that.
Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
You get a free paper if you spend a certain amount.....not sure what it is...£5 or £10.

Yes, you get free coffee but you have to take your own mug. They stopped doing single-use cups a short while ago.
I don't like their coffee though!

You get a china cup if you buy a coffee.
I wouldn't have a coffee anywhere where you had to take your own cup. Can't be bothered with it tbh and if you say the coffee is not nice anyway well......

I didn't know that about the china cups though.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top