Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 09:40 AM

Re: RSPCA radical wants pets "phased out"

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Having popped in and out of Jeremy Kyle, ... Oh, sorry, and neutering....
A lot of his 'contestants' would benefit from being neutered.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 09:58 AM

I'm going to get it in the neck here but I think he has a point.

As has been mentioned recently having a dog or cat is akin to having a child. It appears that anyone can have a child and abuse them but we can have more control over whether anyone can have a pet.

You must admit the problems associated with either pet is of concern. Dogs are awful in my opinion: they bark, bite, defecate all over the place and cause so much neighbourhood bad feeling it is unbelievable. I went out the back for a short while the other day when the sun was shining only to have the peace and quiet shattered by 2 dogs barking their heads off at each other over garden fences. My next door neighbour can no longer bask outside as she used to do owing to the number of dogs now. This has impacted on her health.

Cats have been my choice of pet for years but I can't see me having another. They are killers full stop. Amazing hunters that have decimated the wild life everywhere. If you like to see birds in your garden then you are going to be sorely disappointed around where I live.

I also question why people are allowed to keep such animals, especially dogs. The sooner a replacement is created the better, as in a robot dog. Sounds far fetched I know but I wouldn't be surprised if one day that will be the case and the sooner the better if you ask me.

This isn't a windup by the way. I really do think certain pets should be phased out, if not phased out entirely then only certain breeds allowed to certain people.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:18 AM

@MKJ While I dont fully agree with you I do agree that much tighter controls shuld be placed on both breeder and owners with both sides being licenced and much as with car ownership if one breaks the rules then the licence is revoked and you cannot own/breed for x amount of years or ever again if the offence is serious enough.
Breeding should be strictly limited on all pets. There are so many dogs in rescue that the time has come to call a halt to unlicenced breeding. As for cats....dont get me started.

I currently have two dogs. They rarely bark are trained not to poo on pavements and I carry a roll of bags so that I can clean up after them. None of my dogs have ever bitten anyone.
Nothing like tarring us all with the same brush here..

As always the minority of terrible irresponsible and careless owners spoil it for the rest of us who do our best to make sure our lifestyle choice does not impact negativly on other people.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:18 AM

I would phase out cyclist just joking Mark
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
@MKJ While I dont fully agree with you I do agree that much tighter controls shuld be placed on both breeder and owners with both sides being licenced and much as with car ownership if one breaks the rules then the licence is revoked and you cannot own/breed for x amount of years or ever again if the offence is serious enough.
Breeding should be strictly limited on all pets. There are so many dogs in rescue that the time has come to call a halt to unlicenced breeding.

I currently have two dogs. They rarely bark are trained not to poo on pavements and I carry a roll of bags so that I can clean up after them. None of my dogs have ever bitten anyone.
Nothing like tarring us all with the same brush here..

As always the minority of terrible irresponsible and careless owners spoil it for the rest of us who do our best to make sure our lifestyle choice does not impact negativly on other people.
All I can say is never take up jogging. Dogs and joggers do not mix. Even the apparently placid dogs do not take kindly to someone running at their 'master'.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
All I can say is never take up jogging. Dogs and joggers do not mix. Even the apparently placid dogs do not take kindly to someone running at their 'master'.
Dogs cannot tell the difference between jogger and mugger or nordic walker and attacker, but an owner can and as I have done when my dogs are off lead and we are met by these people my dogs are told ,, Stand , Wait. Then once the people are past us we carry on..

Note; I taught my dogs this because the lycra clad terrorists on bicycles who are allowed to cycle anywhere chose the off lead area to practice their cross country cycling. They've already killed one dogs and injured others in pursuit of their hobby..
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:24 AM

My last cat(RIP Cleo) was never a hunter,but others were and yes they kill even when well fed and cared for.

But they gave back so much `love`
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

22-05-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Dogs cannot tell the difference between jogger and mugger or nordic walker and attacker, but an owner can and as I have done when my dogs are off lead and we are met by these people my dogs are told ,, Stand , Wait. Then once the people are past us we carry on..

Note; I taught my dogs this because the lycra clad terrorists on bicycles who are allowed to cycle anywhere chose the off lead area to practice their cross country cycling. They've already killed one dogs and injured others in pursuit of their hobby..
But everyone says the same thing on here ... I do this and I do that, but you are the rarity and not the norm. I could go on and on about dog related incidents, including one of my postman mate who now has a 15inch scar over his knee. Enough is enough I say. Humans come first not humans with dogs.
Cass
NL

22-05-2015, 10:30 AM

I think we should agree to differ..

I could go on for years about the amount of human on human atrocities that happen on a day to day basis,,

The fact is this radical plan wont happen and while we argue about who is right and whos wrong other decent compromises languish unexplored.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

22-05-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
My last cat(RIP Cleo) was never a hunter,but others were and yes they kill even when well fed and cared for.

But they gave back so much `love`
They sure do. I never thought I would go so long without a cat but I really question now whether I should have another. I like to feed the birds now and then (the ones that are still surviving) and the 2 do not go well together. Apart from that vets bills sure are off-putting .

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top