Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Re: Human Rights

I thought so Janela but its not meant to offend anyone. He is a great friend of mine.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2013, 04:10 PM

I think we "Cherry Pick" the legislation which, one day we may need to protect us (as individuals), and have scant regard for the rest, once again, in a society, as individuals we can't pick and chose, but then again didn't Maggie say "There is no such thing as Society", so if she's proved correct, please ignore this post.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I think we "Cherry Pick" the legislation which, one day we may need to protect us (as individuals), and have scant regard for the rest, once again, in a society, as individuals we can't pick and chose, but then again didn't Maggie say "There is no such thing as Society", so if she's proved correct, please ignore this post.
That was taken very much out of context IMO, she meant we have to try and take care of ourselves because government cannot do it for us. It's haunted us since though and she should have come out years ago and clarified exactly what she did mean.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Having just come from a thread where I made a comment on this subject, would you say that, overall, The Human Rights Act has been a good thing or a bad thing? Has it been misused/misinterpreted? In what way would you like to see the Act changed? Would you prefer it was done away with?
We are Global now, so many people, so many cultures, it ain't no surprise we need many rules to represent such diversity, you only have to look to the mediation of this site, even the Mods are global, there ain't no way back to insular Britain so if to get justice for an individual means that other legislation seems out of Kilter, so be it. Imo.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I do not know a great deal about the complexities of the Human Rights Act, particularly in relation to the EU courts, but overall I would say general Human Rights legislation is essential and a basic set of human rights should be accepted worldwide. It becomes complicated when not all countries sign up to the same set of human rights, when there is incompatibility or no human rights within a country.
The idea of defining "human rights" within a legal or moral framework is is not a modern one. One of the oldest records of a declaration of human rights was the 1264 Statute of Kalisz - a general charter of Jewish liberties.
In modern times I suppose a starting point would be the 1948 Declaration of Human Rights (UNCA).
I do think that these days things have become complicated, which does lead to misinterpretation and abuse, so I would like to see simplification. Maybe if the whole of Europe (including UK) could agree with each other more and the laws were simplified, then there would be no recourse for appeal after appeal to the EU Court of Human Rights when a decision made by an EU country is not accepted.
I also think it is important that the judgement process should be speeded up considerably - particularly with regard to asylum seekerss/immigration and who is or is not allowed to remain in the country (UK). I think this area is quite important to get straight.
It is complicated, I think, but maybe if someone is not totally willing to sign up and commit to the country they wish to live by swearing allegiance to that country and observing all its laws regardless - then they should not be afforded the advantage of that country's protection and should be returned to the country of their origin. People should not be allowed to pick and choose and, I believe, they should be prepared to demonstrate and prove their loyalty and allegiance to the country they want to stay in and which affords them protection.

Rena darlin' - Whilst the European Court of Human Rights has that title, for the sake of clarity it has NOTHING to do with the European Union per se and should not be confused with each other.

I concur with regard to refugees and there is a particular treaty (Vienna Treaty???) whereby refugees can claim political asylum in the FIRST country they arrive in within the European Union. It was the failure of the Italian and French Governments to apply the terms of that treaty correctly and allow refugees and asylum seekers to travel across their borders to try and claim asylum here, which caused huge political problems some years ago.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Rena darlin' - Whilst the European Court of Human Rights has that title, for the sake of clarity it has NOTHING to do with the European Union per se and should not be confused with each other.

I concur with regard to refugees and there is a particular treaty (Vienna Treaty???) whereby refugees can claim political asylum in the FIRST country they arrive in within the European Union. It was the failure of the Italian and French Governments to apply the terms of that treaty correctly and allow refugees and asylum seekers to travel across their borders to try and claim asylum here, which caused huge political problems some years ago.
Thank you Uncle Joe - I always get mixed up with the differences in EU stuff, but I hope you know what I mean. I also agree about the "first safe country". Once a refugee/asylum seeker has reached a safe place, EU countries should then be able to get together and equitably share out those people who need to be protected. It should be a joint responsibility. People should not be able to move from place to place (or be moved on) until they get to a country they wish to stay in. I don't understand why the responsibility should not be shared out fairly between all EU countries and I think genuine asylum seekers would have no problem with this idea as long as they are safe from persecution.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

19-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That was taken very much out of context IMO, she meant we have to try and take care of ourselves because government cannot do it for us. It's haunted us since though and she should have come out years ago and clarified exactly what she did mean.
I think what she meant was "I'm going to screw the working classes"!
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

19-04-2013, 06:43 PM

Human rights should be universal - when countries or cultures have different slants on them then they are no longer universal. I think most major religions in the world would subscribe to the judeo/christian interpretation of human rights: 1. love your god with all your mind and body and soul and 2. love your neighbor as yourself!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top