Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 12:02 PM

Roberts Rambles 9

I've just started a new challenge, I've been thinking about it for some time and although I've already visited a few in my life I've never really taken it seriously, so now I've decided to bag as many Trig points as I can before I expire....
Just a brief explanation for anyone who's interested and not followed my adventures in the past......

A 'Trig Point' is short for 'Triangulation Pillar' and are the things that Ordnance Survey used to map the country before GPS. They clipped their scopes to the top of the pillar and took a reading from the next one, slowly building up triangles all across the country. From those triangles they could calculate distances and heights. Because they don't need them anymore some have been destroyed, but most of them still remain. Always on the top of a high point.....

At last count, there are still over 6,000 to be discovered, by me anyway.....So I'd better get cracking......

Armed with a map and compass and brilliant weather I drove to my first location. I shall loosely start with nearest and work outward. The first one was out near Hickleton, a small village on the A635 road to Wakefield. It looked less than a mile from the nearest back road amongst some of the most breathtaking scenery South Yorkshire has to offer.

Over a gate and alongside a field full of Oil Seed in full splendour. I soon realised that there are no paths as such and perhaps my hundred quid trainers might not be up to the job. Never mind I'm here now, so I fought my way over mounds of soil and dodged stinging nettles and brambles and arrived at what seemed to be the highest point at the end of the field adjacent a large dark forest.

Wandering round in 30* C and still no Trig point I decided to enter the forest, it was eerily quiet and cool in there and I could make out a large fenced structure so I approached with caution. Not a mention about this place on my map.

After taking a few photos I wandered around for another half hour but failed to find the trig point. Perhaps it was one of those that had been destroyed. I shall check later on. The countryside was intoxicating and so quiet, I can't believe the doom mongers in the media (and on the forum) who tell me we are destroying the planet. I was reluctant to return to the car, but I'd already spent too much time on this trig when I had earmarked another two to visit and get home for my tea....

The next one was closer to the road but at the top of a steep incline just outside Wentbridge. I parked up and made my way up the hill which was getting steeper by the minute, the last bit was a scramble on hands and knees through an outcrop of rocks. Not been able to run for a few weeks with injury I was panting heavily and feeling out of shape. I arrived at the top and found a windmill and Knottingley power station in my sights....

And just at the top of the rise in the long grass I spied the treasure I was seeking. To say I was excited was an understatement......I couldn't believe you could feel so good discovering an old cement post at the top of a hill....S4246...

I lost my footing while scrambling down the rocky outcrop, a result of gravity and being out of shape, no apparent injuries apart from an arm and leg full of nettle stings and embarrassment....

I return to the car and make my way to the last trig point which I easily found just yards from this small quiet country road near Kirk Smeaton. Very nice find, two out of three fairly good for an afternoons work....Meet S1569...

Too late to go home and cook dinner, so a quick call to my favourite Fish restaurant and job done....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	15742   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	15743   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	15744   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 S4246.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	15745   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 S1569.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	15746  

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 12:19 PM

Re: Roberts Rambles 9

Nice work Foxy, should have my new steed in about 3 weeks time and the van. first stop Cannock Chase, I'll slap some photos on.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Nice work Foxy, should have my new steed in about 3 weeks time and the van. first stop Cannock Chase, I'll slap some photos on.
Thanks Spitty, looking forward to the photos. I used to visit Cannock quite often as a courier, I'll see if I can find where I visited...
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 12:27 PM

Well done, hope the nettle stings have healed.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 02:33 PM

Oh this sounds like a really interesting challenge, Foxy! Nice photos - and I'm wondering if you found out what the structure in the first photo was yet?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 05:15 PM

Good luck with the challenge Bob... 👍
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 10:56 PM

What an interesting challenge/bucket list. That should keep you out of Mrs Fox's way for a while.

Keep at it lad, and lets see the progress in words and photos, especially the food. I am surprised though that you only opted for a small portion of fish and chips.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Well done, hope the nettle stings have healed.
Thanks Cinders, where are those 'Dock leaves' when you need one....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-06-2021, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh this sounds like a really interesting challenge, Foxy! Nice photos - and I'm wondering if you found out what the structure in the first photo was yet?
Thanks Pixie, I haven't researched it yet however, I've visited this site specially for 'Trig Point Baggers' and someone else had taken a photo of it. They also said that the trig point was easy to find.... and posted a photo of it. So as soon as I come off the forum I'm going back for another look....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-06-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Good luck with the challenge Bob... 👍
Thanks Mags, it's taken me quite a while to get this challenge started. About five years when I first got the idea. Hopefully as my collection increases it will spur me on further. I honestly was so excited when I found the first one.... even though I have visited many trig points in the past. I suppose bagging the trig point wasn't my main priority in those days, it was just beating the runner coming up behind me....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top