Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 10:45 PM

Fury - Brad Pitt

I really like to watch war films and I watched Fury this afternoon and it was so, so good. I had headache though trying to hold my tears back.

The acting was superb and very convincing, it had me really at the edge of my seat.

Brilliant movie but if you don't like swearing be warned it has a lot of swearing in it, realistic, I can imagine using bad language in their shoes.

It got me deep thinking and really made me realise what our young men in the wars went through and I really did think how lucky the young men of today are and really don't know they are born, I can see why many soldiers came back with mental health problems, thats what you call a trigger for mental health issues, they saw far too much and so many never came home.

Excellent lead actors
Brad Pitt
Shia LeBeouf
Logan Lerman
Jon Bernthal
Michael Pena
Jason Isaacs

The film is based on a collection of true stories from soldiers who spent their world war II days in tanks which made it all seem so real.

So glad I watched it, it's up there at the top of my best war films along with Hacksaw Ridge
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 11:05 PM

Re: Fury - Brad Pitt

Funny. We had a similar conversation at my brother's house this afternoon while watching a PBS program about people who had survived the war and helped in rebuilding the country afterwards. All of those survivors in the programme (some of whom have died since), told stories of the hardships they had to endure as prewar civilians and during the war fighting the enemy. Most of the soldiers were not much older than 18 when they enlisted or called up. Can't see today's snowflake generation enduring the same hardships. They complain of their phone or broadband stops working.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 11:18 PM

I agree. Great movie. Brad Pitt is one of those guys that appeals equally to men and women. Great actor, obviously very handsome man, great father, great guy. Not overcome with himself like many are. Matt Damon is the same. My dad fought in WW2 along with millions of others on the allied side. He said to me.."I did it for all the usual ideological reasons..duty etc. But what kept us all going was thinking about our families and our kids. WE did it for them..for you" IT was because of them that we are free to sit back and complain about the internet. Not just survive with a gun in our back or die with one in our face. A war movie that send that message is OK with me. I have never been a violent person but I will admit freely that seeing scum sucking nazi lowlives being smashed either for real or in a movie has always made me cheer.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 11:35 PM

Maybe the progression, and the resultant Snowflakes mean there will never be a repetition of previous events.
Lets hope so.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 12:10 AM

I had a few relatives in the war but none of them ever talked about their experiences. Grandfather on my fathers side was in the Fleet Air Arm in WW2. My Grandmother on my fathers side was a Army nurse and one of my Uncles was a private in the army who was at D-Day. None of them ever talked about their time during the war. Maybe knowing they was in the military is why I like war movies and I have seen lots of them.

The war movies i've always liked and continue to keep watching are (in no particular order):

Waterloo
Zulu & Zulu Dawn
Paths of Glory
The Longest Day
The Battle of Britain
Cross of Iron
Battle of the River Plate.

If i feel in the mood for a good war movie, I always pick one from that list.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
I had a few relatives in the war but none of them ever talked about their experiences. Grandfather on my fathers side was in the Fleet Air Arm in WW2. My Grandmother on my fathers side was a Army nurse and one of my Uncles was a private in the army who was at D-Day. None of them ever talked about their time during the war. Maybe knowing they was in the military is why I like war movies and I have seen lots of them.

The war movies i've always liked and continue to keep watching are (in no particular order):

Waterloo
Zulu & Zulu Dawn
Paths of Glory
The Longest Day
The Battle of Britain
Cross of Iron
Battle of the River Plate.

If i feel in the mood for a good war movie, I always pick one from that list.

Totally!..I just bought Zulu on DVD. It's so old nobody had it. I saw it at the movies when I was a kid. Awesome.MY Dad was at El Alamein. Bren Gunner with the AIF. He didn't talk much but said those of them that were up against Rommel in North Africa felt kind of lucky in a strange way that they were up against an honorable enemy. THey knew he wasn't a nazi. Just a professional soldier who hated Hitler.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 09:25 PM

Good film Lion Queen.
Those lads in the tanks were so brave and didn't stand a chance against the far superior German Tiger Tank.
The only thing that stopped them was the fact that they ran out of fuel.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2020, 11:59 AM

I may have read too much history to appreciate the movie. I found it to be a lot of gratuitous violence, combined with historical inaccuracy and a weak plot line. Yea, the real battles were that violent, but the level of gore was unnecessary to the plot. Of course, gore sells tickets.....

In the battle scene at the end of the movie, it made the Germans look like the three stooges fighting the battle. In real life, that was not generally the case... I kept thinking, that if I were one of the SS troops, I would have slipped through the bushes with the panzerfaust and blown the immobile tank to hell. The American tank in the movie must have been the stretch limo variety because the inside of that tank was as big as a house.

By the way, when the young SS trooper saw the live American hiding in the mud under the tank, he would have tossed a grenade under there and blown the kid to hell. Troops, especially SS or Waffen SS troops did not leave armed enemy troops behind them; it would have been a matter of personal survival.

If I had to rate the movie on a scale of 1-10, with ten being the best, it would have gotten no more than a 3.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2020, 12:03 PM

Nobody would go and watch it if the Germans won or there was no blood and guts Savvy, getting bums on seats is the most important thing when making movies. Historical accuracy is way down the list of priorities....
keezoy
Australia

03-03-2020, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Nobody would go and watch it if the Germans won or there was no blood and guts Savvy, getting bums on seats is the most important thing when making movies. Historical accuracy is way down the list of priorities....
Yeah OGF I agree. Look at Braveheart. Seen in probably 5 times now. Absolutely fantastic movie. Inspiring, exciting.. Loved every minute of it. But most students of Scottish history say a lot of it is fiction. I wouldn't know personally but it didn't spoil it for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top