Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 07:04 PM

Re: Hs2

I think HS2 is a waste of money, a total waste.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
My mother in law was against the M6 being built !
What are you trying to say, countrygirl ?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 05:30 PM

This 250 year old pear tree that is local to me has just won The Tree Of The Year award, it even has a Preservation Tree Order on it but it is to be felled to make way for the HS2...

http://youtu.be/lkoy-LJRsCU
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Hearing the office workers struggle to get home the short distance from Woking to London in the evenings makes me think we need to sort out what we already have before building a vanity project like this.
Great post Julie!

What George and Dave should do now is cancel this project as it really only benefits a tiny minority of people and that business boost is mostly hogwash and they know it.

How many disabled people will this help?

How many whose Tax Credits are gone does this help?

It is, as you say, a Vanity project and impinges on far too many people who really don't want it, and that includes vast areas of the Conservative Party's "heartland"! stevmk2
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
I believe that this HS2 scheme is rubbish. It is a white elephant. It gains perhaps a few minutes travel time, but it looses for ever some wonderful agricultural land and brings noise pollution to many villages and small towns.

Where the heck is the advantage then? I believe that pushing for the HS2 is purely a 'keeping up with the Jones's' attitude, and this is criminal taking money away from serious and far more useful projects like NHS, emergency services, education, improving the existing railway system etc. etc.

Is Britain so damn well off that they can afford to fritter money in it's millions on inappropriate projects that are in fact white elephants ? For pity's sake you stupid, sad 'planners' wake up, get a bit of sense and stop throwing our hard earned cash down the drain.

I have always been against HS2, ALWAYS !!!!!!
So am I, what a criminal waste of money.
Well written Gilly, I am totally with you on this.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 06:00 PM

What it will do as a capital programme is to increase employment and improve a lot of local economies, albeit temporarily.
However I can't say that I am in favour of it, getting from A to B faster is just not worth the environmental turmoil and destruction involved.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
What it will do as a capital programme is to increase employment and improve a lot of local economies, albeit temporarily.
However I can't say that I am in favour of it, getting from A to B faster is just not worth the environmental turmoil and destruction involved.
That's the usual spin Malcolm.

If you are seen to increase employment it's deemed as worth the investment - the investment of PUBLIC finances usually.

The downside of this wonderful project is that in reality, "getting from A to B" will only be around 25 minutes faster - hardly an earth-shattering improvement and NOT worth the vast expenditure AT ALL!

Go to Spain for example and try their subsidised railways and get a local train from Tarragona to the tiny village of L'Ametla de Mar in a mere 30 mins every 40 mins!

Sure helps the locals and increases business, much more than I can envisage HS2 doing. stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 06:24 PM

That's not spin Steve, who do you think are going to do the work of building the line and all the ancillary work involved ?.......elves ?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

14-11-2015, 03:41 PM

Malcolm,

You wrote "What it will do as a capital programme is to increase employment and improve a lot of local economies, albeit temporarily."

That's exactly right, the impact of this horrendously expensive project isn't worth the planned expenditure and, by the time it's inevitably overruns and cost nearly double the cries of "I told you so" will completely drown out the elves, mate!

Besides, this country has lost much of it's expertise in major rail projects so there's a damn good chance that the workforce may have to be foreign rail workers anyway!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-stain-CV.html

I do hate quoting the DM but I know this is still the case, (and it's not just Managers!) - NR HQ is 4 miles away from me and I applied for a job there once.

Out of the 1000 jobs quoted by our MP in 2012 only 30 low-skilled jobs were available to local people. stevmk2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top