Join for free
Page 21 of 27 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 04:34 PM

Re: World War II

Originally Posted by big ben ->
As for the Italians. I would sooner have one Italian at my side during conflict than six Americans.
Unless they are on the enemy side ..... people always forget they were on a Nazi German side
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Cameron? Didn't he run away?
May? Wasn't she working for the EU?

Both Thatcher and Churchill would have done a far better job. They were both demonstrably strong leaders and stood up for this country, unlike all of the above.
Again I was thinking about living politicians. Out of the lot we have now.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That he's a pragmatist? If he sends police into crowds to dispel them the police are next day portrayed as brutalist monsters. Best that the majority of the population mitigate the risk. After all how many are at a protest vs the number sitting at home?

But I'd be interested as to who could do a better job because IMO he's had his work cut out and I wonder how May would have fared or Cameron. Do you think Cameron would maybe have done a better job? Or who? I'm not a Boris fan but I must say I feel a bit sorry for him having realised his lifetime dream he's really been dealt a bad hand.
First let me say that I'm not a fan of Boris.

I think he's playing a very clever game and it seems to be working nicely if he is too.
From completely wrong-footing the EU prior to the December deadline to showing their requirements regarding Ireland/NI to be unworkable and - of course - the vaccine saga he's managed to keep the UK one step ahead in quite a few ways.
I know some don't see it like that and fair enough but I do, and certain things like Ireland/NI are far from settled yet.

Why make yourself look like a troublemaker to get what the country really needs when the EU are being slowly but surely forced into doing it themselves and in doing so are making themselves look incompetent to boot?

We should have had somebody like him right from the start but I agree with Annie & feel in some ways quite sorry for the bloke.
He has indeed been dealt a bad hand and I'd be surprised if he lasts much beyond the next General Election even if the Tories win it.
How history will remember Boris probably depends upon these next few years.

As for WW2 I don't think that there are any of our current crop including Boris that would have been capable of doing what those at the time did, far less could they have done any better.

I really don't think that Rees-Mogg or Redwood are strong enough.
Who is left that's seriously worthy of consideration?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 04:54 PM

Again I was thinking about living politicians. Out of the lot we have now.
Jacob Reece-Mogg's pretty good.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 04:56 PM

Unless they are on the enemy side ..... people always forget they were on a Nazi German side
Not the Italian general public. They wanted to remain neutral but Benito Mussolini forced them to join his mate Adolf.
We hear stories of thousands of Italian troops surrendering to just a handful of Allied soldiers in North Africa. Right from the beginning they wanted to take no part in wars.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 04:59 PM

I've only fairly recently read an Italian's experiences during WW2 and it seems to me that Italians were doing like almost anybody would do and were looking out for No.1.

Italian politics however is another thing and it's always been chaotic.
That's how Mussolini managed to gain power as Prime Minister back in 1922.
Even now though Italian politics is unpredictable and fractious with Mario Draghi recently being sworn in as the new prime minister of Italy, taking over from the Giuseppe Conte who was pretty much forced to resign.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-04-2021, 05:05 PM

Surely the same is true for the French or any other country? But the French always get a bashing on here.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 05:51 PM

Surely the same is true for the French or any other country? But the French always get a bashing on here.
With very good reason. The French are historically our enemies.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 05:51 PM

What is this post about? WW2 as at at the start or comparing politics of today with politics of 70 years ago? (No comparison whatsoever)
big ben
United Kingdom

11-04-2021, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
With very good reason. The French are historically our enemies.
Agree 100% AT.

Page 21 of 27 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top