Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Re: Snowflakes, Gamers, Phone Addicts - British Army Wants You!

There were times when British people were proud of Great Britain , I believe we have lost this pride , wouldn't it be great if we found that again , teaching respect and showing these young people we can be proud again , bringing in conscription may just be the start of pride in oneself and ones country once more
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
There were times when British people were proud of Great Britain , I believe we have lost this pride , wouldn't it be great if we found that again , teaching respect and showing these young people we can be proud again , bringing in conscription may just be the start of pride in oneself and ones country once more
It would Susan, but I feel that other countries would not see us as being "civilised" if we did. We'd probably be looked at like we do at countries such as North Korea or even China and Russia, making sure everybody complies in a dictatorship and the UK has never been like that. Which is good.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It would Susan, but I feel that other countries would not see us as being "civilised" if we did. We'd probably be looked at like we do at countries such as North Korea or even China and Russia, making sure everybody complies in a dictatorship and the UK has never been like that. Which is good.

How do we get it back Floydy?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 03:37 PM

How do we get it back Floydy?
By doing as Longfellow said, Susan. Training kids up for actual trades that the country is crying out for rather than teaching them pointless subjects which are worthless in modern day life. The others send to boot camps at 16.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 03:37 PM

I'm trying to imagine who conscripting young adults into jobs like the services and fire brigade etc would work, I don't think I'd want to rely on a young person just doing the job so they could get their benefit or because they are compelled to do it by law. Give me volunteers who want to do it, have a passion for it any day over a conscript.

We should teach kids in school to be proud of being British, some countries ask they sing their anthem or recite an oath, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.
susan m
DORSET UK

04-01-2019, 03:41 PM

By doing as Longfellow said, Susan. Training kids up for actual trades that the country is crying out for rather than teaching them pointless subjects which are worthless in modern day life. The others send to boot camps at 16.
Yes agreed , something has to be done , why can't our government see this .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-01-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm trying to imagine who conscripting young adults into jobs like the services and fire brigade etc would work, I don't think I'd want to rely on a young person just doing the job so they could get their benefit or because they are compelled to do it by law. Give me volunteers who want to do it, have a passion for it any day over a conscript.

We should teach kids in school to be proud of being British, some countries ask they sing their anthem or recite an oath, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.
Where do you get the volunteers from? Volunteers are not paid.
Start teaching these trades in schools and those essential places in our Forces and the NHS would be filled accordingly.

As for being proud to be British, that's a steadily declining sense of pride these days with the state of our nation.
The NHS, public company bosses and their bonuses, the shambolic ways of our political "leaders", uncertainty about Brexit, stabbings on the streets, lack of flood defences, sloppy news coverage, bad policing, death of the high street etc etc. A free country? What the hell does that mean?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-01-2019, 03:52 PM

Yes agreed , something has to be done , why can't our government see this .
Because they are only concerned about themselves not us. They are wealthy, smug money grabbers who don't do their job properly and spend most of their time wasting money that should be going to our health service on getting dressed up in their robes and attending luncheons and banquets in an effort to impress wealthy businessmen and foreign aid dignitaries.
They argue with the opposite party and get nowhere and they have no priorities anymore and that's why we're in a mess.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 04:21 PM

Where do you get the volunteers from? Volunteers are not paid.
Start teaching these trades in schools and those essential places in our Forces and the NHS would be filled accordingly.

As for being proud to be British, that's a steadily declining sense of pride these days with the state of our nation.
The NHS, public company bosses and their bonuses, the shambolic ways of our political "leaders", uncertainty about Brexit, stabbings on the streets, lack of flood defences, sloppy news coverage, bad policing, death of the high street etc etc. A free country? What the hell does that mean?
I agree completely with teaching them young floydy, nothing wrong with that. Many kids come out of school with things they'll never use in real life they need different skills taught much earlier IMO

I also take your point about the second part of your post it's hard to see what they should be proud of I suppose.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Although I understand the idea behind the promotion - we can turn spoiled, soft kids into soldiers - my first reaction was how condescending it was to the soldiers already in the military.

In this one campaign, all active duty soldiers' reputations have been belittled. More, the dangerous impression it gives the world that the army will now be made up of weak, bottom-of-the-barrel recruits.

I appreciate humor in some advertising, but sorry, there's just nothing funny or cute about the necessary evil of maintaining armed forces or the sobering decision to join.

I'm just surprised that some absurd advertising company here in the U.S. didn't come up with these posters first.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top