Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 09:11 PM

Re: Technology - what do you think about it?

I'm absolutely fascinated by computers. Before the damn things I would try this and that but quickly master them and get bored. I have trained in electrics, electronics and car mechanics / tuning, and in no time at all I got bored. Computers though? Hell, there is no way on earth you can master all they have to offer. Programming is a wonderful environment to immerse yourself in, as in creating your own games? I did this for a period of time and it was incredibly exciting. Now I run my own home server setup and host loads of websites along with designing /coding them. I'm never bored and humbled in the knowledge that I have hardly skimmed the surface of all a computer has to offer.

Technology and an enquiring mind = bliss.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 09:24 PM

You are very clever! I bow to your superior knowledge Sir!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 09:39 PM

Fascinating, thanks everyone for replying.

FWIW (for what it's worth) I think you are all doing great! I'd never have known some of you have only had a computer for two years! You all come across like seasoned pros

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
I started programming in 1971 and worked in IT until 2002.
I've had PC's since sometime in the 80's Now use a laptop.
Can access internet on my mobile and do use it.
Sat Nav- no thanks. If I'm driving somewhere and a road to X looks interesting I'll take it and I don't want a machine telling me I'm going the wrong way!
Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I'm absolutely fascinated by computers. Before the damn things I would try this and that but quickly master them and get bored. I have trained in electrics, electronics and car mechanics / tuning, and in no time at all I got bored. Computers though? Hell, there is no way on earth you can master all they have to offer. Programming is a wonderful environment to immerse yourself in, as in creating your own games? I did this for a period of time and it was incredibly exciting. Now I run my own home server setup and host loads of websites along with designing /coding them. I'm never bored and humbled in the knowledge that I have hardly skimmed the surface of all a computer has to offer.

Technology and an enquiring mind = bliss.
Nice to see some fellow programmers here - what languages do you guys use?
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I got so fed up with not knowing how to sort things out I e-mailed the BBC and suggested that they do something useful with the licence fee, put on a program showing folk how to make the best use of computers, simple maintenance etc. No reply of course!
You will find answers to almost anything on YouTube. Just type in "How to........" and you're almost certain to find someone showing you how to do it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2014, 09:24 AM

I was pretty much a technophobe until I was doing a masters degree and my tutor said I had to get a computer...Avoided a mobile phone until I had to have one for work.
Now I happily use both, but my real bugbear is why it is now so hard to get any electrical stuff without loads of additional technology incorporated in it that I don't want. I want a basic TV, don't need a "smart" one, I want a phone that makes calls and texts, don't need apps, internet, cameras etc. And as others have mentioned, why so many washing machine programmes?
Sometimes I wish technology had not gone so far...
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Technically speaking, I don't know much about computers but I do know how to google to get the info to fix a problem that shouldn't even be there in the first place.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2014, 03:12 PM

I'm no techno phobe, I have a mobile phone but it's just a phone not an all singing all dancing job.

I love my laptop and would hate to be without it....it's cranky and running Vista. (yes I know it's carp)

My highly techie son-in-law has condemned it twice and said I should buy a new one.
I took his advice and used the new one complete with Windows 7 for a couple of weeks before giving it to hubby.
I am as we speak, using my old familiar (most of the key letters are worn off) comfortable old friend.

If it 'aint quite broke etc etc...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quite right! Trouble is as soon as you need to print something or install new hardware you're knackered!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Quite right! Trouble is as soon as you need to print something or install new hardware you're knackered!
Well I managed to add the printer to this old thing last week and print something...being as hubby's desktop had 'seized up'
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2014, 01:28 PM

I love technology, and all things electrical! It's where all my money goes, rather than on alcohol, cigarettes, jewellery, designer clothes, etc. i can't pass a branch of Maplin or PC World without popping in and seeing what's new.

Sorry, lunch is ready (blimey, times goes quick here! Back soon.)

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top