Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Petrol and Diesel costs

I expect everyone has noticed how much Petrol and especailly Diesel has gone up over the last few weeks.

Well dont shrug it off and say the government taxes it too much, which it does 81p a litre, or the cost of Oil rising 44p a litre, or the cartel of refiners and retailers ripping us off putting it up fast and down slow, 11p a litre.

No this rise is due to the incompetance of the Bank of England monetary policy. QE has and is devaluing the Pound. It has fallen quite a bit recently and as Oil is imported and priced in US dollars we are paying more for it just because our economy is in the crapper!

This makes everything more expensive and incresaes inflation. Not that HMG worries, as inflation is the ONLY WAY the national debt can be eroded over the long haul.

So next time your fuel goes up 5p a litre remeber 1p is the extra VAT generated by the price rise.

In 2003 petrol was 76p now it is £1.39. Diesel was 78p now it is £1.46 - up 87% in under 10 years!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Re: Petrol and Diesel costs

It is scandalous the way inflation is rising and incomes shrinking. If policitians know their history, they should know this is a recipe for disaster.

I've already stopped using the car so much. I also noticed that a bag of mixed salad that cost £1 before Christmas is now £1.35. I find myself refusing to pay for many things because they're grossly over-priced. Consumers need to force prices back down by not paying exaggerated costs.

Right, I'm going to get off this soap box now .......
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 10:32 AM

I feel sorry for all you drivers - the price you already have to pay in road tax, insurance etc and then on top of all that, the price of diesel and petrol! It is ridiculous!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 11:06 AM

I hardly use my car and £20 worth of diesel lasts me a month. Once I have moved I may seriously consider giving it up as it is expensive to run now.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 05:29 PM

We have to pay £1.45 for petrol and £1.51 for Diesel at the moment. The further north you are the more expensive it gets.
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 05:40 PM

And of course this affects all aspects of our lives transport of goods adds cost.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Not having a car on the Island would cause problems. Our bus service is, outside of rush hour, tends to be one every hour. In more rural areas, that can extend to one every 2 - 3 hours. Where my daughter lives, the last bus leaves the nearest town for her village at 6pm and picks up no passengers on it's way back into town! Bus fares are horrendously expensive as well - it is often cheaper to travel by car here.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 08:40 AM

It seems whenever I pass my large Sainsbury's or Morrisons I notice an extra 1p has gone on the price! I think it's almost a weekly occurrence. I can soon confirm that as I keep a daily spend diary and usually write down the cost of fuel and how many litres bought.

EVERYthing seems to be going up in drastic levels. Supermarkets, when increasing prices, don't do it by pennies, but by much more.

But going back to fuel costs: I rarely use my car now, instead I go by bus using my free Oyster card, or try to walk. Poor thing was idle for over 6 weeks when I had my hand injury, but look at the money I saved!

The other week I had a short break out in rural Essex and had to top up several times: phew, more expensive than in London. And I wasn't that far away. (Oh, and it wasn't only petrol that cost more. Shops were few and far between and simple groceries were eye watering.)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Supermarkets are being slightly naughty here if you spend enough in store they are knocking 10p off a litre of fuel, if they can afford to do that why not knock the price down a little less for everyone ?

As we cannot really do without our car we continue to fill the tank but it's now costing half my wages in fuel to get to work
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 12:57 PM

Last weekend stayed with friends around 50 miles away. Their diesel was 6p a litre cheaper so we filled up. We always try to do that when away from home as ours is always top price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top