Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Re: Petrol and Diesel costs

Swings and roundabouts.

The devalued pound is making you more competitive in the global market place. Imports are more expensive exports more competitive.

You are not the only country affected thus; our dollar has gone down against the US$ and the £ and petrol has gone from $1.40/lt to $1.50/lt but inflation is still below 2.5%

Take your medicine it is good for you.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2013, 09:01 PM

I filled my 1994 Peugeot 405 up with a full tank of diesel this afternoon and it came to £91.24!!!!!

Luckily that car will last for over a month before needing re-fueled (it is very efficient) but still, what an expense.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:19 AM

Roxy, You must be pretty far north. I'm paying a lot less in Aberdeenshire - generally from ASDA or Morrisons.

When we visit our daughters in the Midlands, we often find that fuel was cheaper in Aberdeen than Manchester.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Swings and roundabouts.

The devalued pound is making you more competitive in the global market place. Imports are more expensive exports more competitive.

You are not the only country affected thus; our dollar has gone down against the US$ and the £ and petrol has gone from $1.40/lt to $1.50/lt but inflation is still below 2.5%

Take your medicine it is good for you.
When petrol costs outstrip wages we have a problem, if that's our medicine we will all soon be on benefits unable to afford to get to work.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When petrol costs outstrip wages we have a problem, if that's our medicine we will all soon be on benefits unable to afford to get to work.
It is working already. I was in Tescos in Alor Setar buying some breakfast cereal. Aussie made Weet-bix RM12.90, Tescos Wheat Biscuits made in England RM9.90. So now I am breakfasting off Tesco's finest while helping to make Britain great again.

BTW The Weet-Bix actually costs more in my local super market at home!

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is working already. I was in Tescos in Alor Setar buying some breakfast cereal. Aussie made Weet-bix RM12.90, Tescos Wheat Biscuits made in England RM9.90. So now I am breakfasting off Tesco's finest while helping to make Britain great again.

BTW The Weet-Bix actually costs more in my local super market at home!

A subtle way of making you pay for Mrs Windsor Bruce.
Candocolin
New Member!
hampshire
Candocolin is male 

07-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Bear in mind if you have to spend £100 in store to get your 10p off a litre and your tank is near empty .a typical tank (50l) thats £5 saving...5%...not that good?...suppose best way forward is a car share...or walk...or dont eat
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

08-08-2013, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Candocolin ->
Bear in mind if you have to spend £100 in store to get your 10p off a litre and your tank is near empty .a typical tank (50l) thats £5 saving...5%...not that good?...suppose best way forward is a car share...or walk...or dont eat
We've had this shopper docket 4c - 10c off petrol here for some years now. Woolworths started to bring in petrol from Singapore until Caltex realised what a danger it was to their sales and did a deal to supply the petrol. Shell then got into the act with the other supermarket chain.

When petrol was 80c a litre it was Ok but now it is $1.45 a litre it is not much of a saving and it has driven other petrol stations out of business. Now the ACCC is looking at whether this discounting is good for competition or whether it is actually reducing competition.

The reality is that the weekly petrol price cycle is about 10 cents so you can save more money by buying fuel on a (say)Thursday than by using a docket.

Personally I think that it forces prices up because some independent stations sell fuel at lower than the discounted price

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top