Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Real Value?

What do you think of the Big Mac index or the iPad index? Do you think it works in evaluating the comparative cost of living in a country?

Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Re: Real Value?

I always thought that the 'Mars Bar' index was good for comparing prices over a period of time.

Trouble is, I don't have an iPad (whatever they are), eat Big Macs (I know what they are) and Mars Bars are a tad too sweet for my taste (even deep fried)!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Dunno, can't afford to look at an i-pad let alone buy one! How do people afford these gadgets?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I always thought that the 'Mars Bar' index was good for comparing prices over a period of time.

Trouble is, I don't have an iPad (whatever they are), eat Big Macs (I know what they are) and Mars Bars are a tad too sweet for my taste (even deep fried)!
I dont eat Big Macs and I don't eat Mars, however I have an iPad, and I love it.
I can afford an iPad, because I don't eat rubbish, i stick to good food.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Don't eat any of those things or have the money for an I pad, but my judgement of the cost of living is based on my experience no one else's. And I can say it's gone up and no sign of it stopping it's upward spiral. Not too interested in other countries comparisons as I can't see how knowing about it will help me budget day to day which is all that matters to me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top