Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 02:10 PM

Bit of a Bu...er

Poor old television companies, arrange all their schedules to cover the world cup matches including shoving regular programmes aside . Then England get dumped out without making it past the qualifying stage and nobody wants to watch their output anymore. C'est la vie
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 02:19 PM

Re: Bit of a Bu...er

One of the great thing about Australia is that you know your team is not going to get past the first round so the misery is soon over for both soccer fans and detracters alike.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 02:23 PM

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/picture...l/1368_big.jpg
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 02:46 PM

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 09:49 PM

I was wondering, not that I do wonder much about football, except why? Anyway, I wondered if the footballers in other countries get paid extortionate amounts like ours?

I did tell one of my neighbours that his flags looked a bit droopy yesterday...
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I was wondering, not that I do wonder much about football, except why? Anyway, I wondered if the footballers in other countries get paid extortionate amounts like ours?

I did tell one of my neighbours that his flags looked a bit droopy yesterday...
Here in North America, your football is not as popular, so there's no big money paid out. So far!
But there is for other sports - American football, ice hockey, basketball, and baseball.

I'm curious, is soccer an acceptable word in Britain?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Yes, but as we haven't had any other "football", although we do have some American Football now, we just call it football, 'cos we kick it with our feet!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 10:25 PM

Perfectly logical!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 12:18 AM

Jackie's right, hockey players in NA get paid millions of dollars & sometimes have 3-5 year contracts. They do great the 1st year, slide the rest of the time, still getting paid or perhaps traded, same story all over again. Idiots still pay money to see the Toronto Maple Leafs & they certainly are not the glory team they were decades ago. Toronto must have the biggest diehard fans ever! The owners, advertisers, players are rich as hell but don't deliver to the fans that pay their wages, in a sense.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 03:39 AM

Our footie is either rugby league or Aussie rules depending on where you live. Soccer is very much a minor spectator sport though a lot play it at a local level (my daughter does for example) but I think netball and rugby union have bigger followings.

Until recently male soccer was only shown on the foreign language channel SBS who's audience would be hard pressed to fill a phone box though the ABC did show women's soccer.

Footie players do earn good salaries but the sport put a cap on payments per club to stop rich clubs buying all the best and leading to a one sided contest.

As I have said elsewhere sport in general leaves me cold i just follow it as a news item so I can discuss it with my kids.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top