Join for free
Page 541 of 1676 « First < 41 441 491 531 539 540 541 542 543 551 591 641 1041 1541 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 10:52 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Let's take scribbles to the masses, bit like moving the mountain.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 11:11 PM

I’m afraid not many folks go to the masses anymore Spitty, religion is on the way out, although they still get a fair crowd of the older folks at the 12oc mass on Sundays in my area.

There is a long running soap over here watched by the wife (she only follows the one so I can't complain) anyway they are beginning to use a lot of American expressions in it, it's not set in New York, it's set in Dublin City! Do the writers think this is trendy or what? The latest I heard last night was "I'll take a rain check on that" Christ what next "Get off the sidewalk I can't get into the drug store"
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I’m afraid not many folks go to the masses anymore Spitty, religion is on the way out, although they still get a fair crowd of the older folks at the 12oc mass on Sundays in my area.

There is a long running soap over here watched by the wife (she only follows the one so I can't complain) anyway they are beginning to use a lot of American expressions in it, it's not set in New York, it's set in Dublin City! Do the writers think this is trendy or what? The latest I heard last night was "I'll take a rain check on that" Christ what next "Get off the sidewalk I can't get into the drug store"
Most likely Jem.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Maybe Colleen is, Un-Colleen.
very droll - paid
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Let's take scribbles to the masses, bit like moving the mountain.
couldn't we borrow Pugsies friends traction engine??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

11-03-2018, 03:22 AM

Heh dare fella – if yuz gotta any grouse wid de lingo den take it to the big man on the hill will ya? Y’all have a good day now!

NB: Rugby Union – Ireland wins Six Nations Tournament !! congratulations [ reprinted in oirish for Jems benefit]

Heh Jem it’s a good thing when you state something on here we canna hear you’re accent – which could be a problem.

Oh nearly forgot - keep them Utube coming remember what?? I think it's gonna be a close call between you and the Angle man!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 11:55 AM

The sound and smell of steam engines makes you want to grin from ear to ear

I go steam whenever there is a chance to do so and one that does stay in my mind was some years back I had the pleasure of going on the Whitby steam bus Elizabeth and still remember how powerful it was. To be able to do this was only thanks to mechanical enthusiasts that keep these old steam engine running despite the age and cost.

Long may they keep looking after them.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Was it one of these things Pug? This is a shot from the 1962 film “The Iron Maiden” with Michael Craig, a very enjoyable film I thought. I wouldn’t mind messin about in one of them meself, glad you enjoyed yerself.
The VERY one,Jem! Richar'd one is black N green,but exactly the same engine...good man,so y'are! We didn't take out the fire this morning...we're both children at heart and Rich's time left is limited...so sod it-we went out again! I did the work getting the trays clean,re-setting the fire,building up pressure [all things Rich instructed me in,I had no idea-never been on one,let alone DRIVEN one,before. So we went around the island,then over the causeway,along through two villages,even up a hill [I was REALLY impressed at how effortless it makes hills seem] and returned just in time as the causeway was just starting to flood...BRILLIANT trime...I was grinning like a loon most of the way,imagining Miss Malone's barely-clad boobs there with me...poop,poooooop!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Yes it’s a good job you don’t have to listen to me Dublin accent Gummy, you’d never figure out what I’d be saying, there are only a few real Dubs left now, In another two generations the accent will have disappeared for good, in the meantime I’m hanging in there with the last breath.
I can of course change my accent at the drop of a hat, like when I had classes on goldsmithing in many different counties up to a few years ago, that was a nice little earner for a retired chap, I used to use my Richard Harris accent for them jobs, but the pupils copped on when I accidently left my cake out in the rain. However I feel most comfortable using me own native Dublin accent, and one must be faithful to one’s origins.

"MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh no!"

All the old street games have gone now, marbles, skipping, releavio, kick the can, jack stones, beds, the moul, scutting buses, etc.,everything moves on and one wonders where the human race is heading, my guess is that we reach a peak then the whole thing collapses caused by some huge disaster, then someone creeps out from under a rock and we all start from scratch once again, how many chances have we been given to get on with each other and still we keep making a balls to it, sooner of later the big fella will get cheesed off with the whole game and blow us all away forever.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 06:08 PM

Ah the smell of anthracite burning in a traction engine's firebox. The gentle hiss of steam escaping from a sleeping giant. Full power at zero revs.
What force of supernatural magic is this?

Page 541 of 1676 « First < 41 441 491 531 539 540 541 542 543 551 591 641 1041 1541 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top