Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Re: The EU says no Renegotiation

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The EU has FTAs with countries that nobody has ever heard of. Its simply not logical to promote a protectionist union of countries as one that promotes global free trade - that, is simply wrong.

The UK is still a WTO member - we (and the 27) did not surrender our WTO membership when we joined the EU, we simply signed up to the EU trading with the rest of the world as a single block (single WTO member) on our behalf.
I believed a lot of what was said by swim about wto rules until I realised we actually trade on those terms already. Odd the remainers never mention that little fact. I can't imagine the sky falling in if we do more using the wto tarriffs I actually hear from people who seem to have more knowledge that it could mean cheaper things from many areas than we pay now. I don't dismiss European goods but wouldn't it be really nice not to be stuck with just their products and be able to sample from further afield.

I already buy stuff from korea china etc their sizes are a bit smaller than ours but once you realise that their stuff is pretty good for the price. What we lose in some areas we will gain in others I believe.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I believed a lot of what was said by swim about wto rules until I realised we actually trade on those terms already. Odd the remainers never mention that little fact. I can't imagine the sky falling in if we do more using the wto tarriffs I actually hear from people who seem to have more knowledge that it could mean cheaper things from many areas than we pay now. I don't dismiss European goods but wouldn't it be really nice not to be stuck with just their products and be able to sample from further afield.

I already buy stuff from korea china etc their sizes are a bit smaller than ours but once you realise that their stuff is pretty good for the price. What we lose in some areas we will gain in others I believe.
The WTO is there to promote fairness and free trade between other WTO members. We also trade with countries who aren't WTO members, there is nothing to prevent anyone from doing so, but signing up to the WTO means that as a member, you are going to trade fairly without favouring nations above others.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:36 PM

The WTO is there to promote fairness and free trade between other WTO members. We also trade with countries who aren't WTO members, there is nothing to prevent anyone from doing so, but signing up to the WTO means that as a member, you are going to trade fairly without favouring nations above others.
Sounds perfect IMO obviously nothing is really perfect but if everyone does as it says on the tin it's pretty close.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Sounds perfect IMO obviously nothing is really perfect but if everyone does as it says on the tin it's pretty close.
The EU trades with third countries on WTO terms as it is a WTO member...

Fancy that ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-12-2018, 02:38 PM

The EU trades with third countries on WTO terms as it is a WTO member...

Fancy that ....
So why is it supposed to cause the sky to fall on us ? I don't get it at all.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Project fear...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Only the britons in bretagne believe in a sky falling down. However.
Is this paper acceptable for all political convictions?
https://theconversation.com/no-deal-...britain-102009
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-12-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Only the britons in bretagne believe in a sky falling down. However.
Is this paper acceptable for all political convictions?
https://theconversation.com/no-deal-...britain-102009
I think the article is missing the point Solasch.

Think if it this way ... if the UK was in control of it's own trade policies how would it be worse off, than that which is imposed on it by the EU which is a political union that restricts member states to a customs union to protect German manufacturing and the CAP to protect French farmers ?

Bottom line is what we can't get cheaper elsewhere, we will build or grow ourselves.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 04:50 PM

I think the article is missing the point Solasch.

Think if it this way ... if the UK was in control of it's own trade policies how would it be worse off, than that which is imposed on it by the EU which is a political union that restricts member states to a customs union to protect German manufacturing and the CAP to protect French farmers ?

Bottom line is what we can't get cheaper elsewhere, we will build or grow ourselves.
H

I think you are missing the point, you certainly post false facts on here.

Trade Deals are not just about importing ,they are about exporting as well.

We need to earn foreign currency to survive, we have Bills to pay, oil is priced in US$ for example.

We have massive loans to pay back, or has that escaped your attention?

It is important that we leave, leaving without any trade deals is something no other Country has done.

There is only one other WTO Country which has no Trade Deals.

That is Mauritania, which has an economy one fifth of one % of the UK economy.

They also still have slavery.

We would be joining them and saying every other economy in the World has got it wrong.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-12-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
H

I think you are missing the point, you certainly post false facts on here.

Trade Deals are not just about importing ,they are about exporting as well.

We need to earn foreign currency to survive, we have Bills to pay, oil is priced in US$ for example.

We have massive loans to pay back, or has that escaped your attention?

It is important that we leave, leaving without any trade deals is something no other Country has done.

There is only one other WTO Country which has no Trade Deals.

That is Mauritania, which has an economy one fifth of one % of the UK economy.

They also still have slavery.

We would be joining them and saying every other economy in the World has got it wrong.

I'm not sure how calling me a liar is making you any more convincing... hey ho...

Anyway I never said we would not have any trade deals when we leave, of course we will. Unfortunately we need to leave to sign them up - part of the EU law we ended up being bound to.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top