Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 06:41 AM

Brine

Does anyone soak their meat in brine,before cooking?

What were the results?

Also has anyone got a really tasty curry recipe?

I have yet to find one or make one...that I thoroughly enjoy.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 07:39 AM

Re: Brine

Why would anyone soak their meat in brine? I don't get it, please explain.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 07:45 AM

I haven't done it but I've heard of it. Apparently it makes lean meat more juicy. Stops it drying out. But, here's a good yellow curry you can try.

YELLOW SEAFOOD CURRY
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 5 eschallots, thinly sliced
• 1 X Thinly sliced carrot
• 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
• 1 X large garlic clove
• 1 X 2cm block of fresh ginger
• 1 X Tbsp of chopped fresh lime leaves
• 2 X small red chillies
• 1 400 ml can of coconut cream
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1 Lemon juiced
• 300g thick white boneless fish cut into 3cm cubes (I use Barramundi but any good fish will do)
• 16 medium green prawns, peeled, deveined
• 12 mussels, cleaned
• 1/2 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
• Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
• Lime wedges, to serve
(Crush the chillies, garlic, ginger, lime leaves and lemon juice separately with a little oil)
METHOD

• Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add eschallots, chopped up garlic, ginger, carrot and chillies and lime leaves. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Add curry paste. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in coconut cream, fish sauce, brown sugar and lime and lemon juices. Bring to the boil.
• Step 2
Reduce heat to medium. Add fish, prawns and mussels. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.

Step 3
Spoon rice into bowls. Ladle over curry. Top with coriander. Serve with lime wedges.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Why would anyone soak their meat in brine? I don't get it, please explain.
Keezoy,has just explained it nice,Eccles.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

01-07-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I haven't done it but I've heard of it. Apparently it makes lean meat more juicy. Stops it drying out. But, here's a good yellow curry you can try.

YELLOW SEAFOOD CURRY
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 5 eschallots, thinly sliced
• 1 X Thinly sliced carrot
• 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
• 1 X large garlic clove
• 1 X 2cm block of fresh ginger
• 1 X Tbsp of chopped fresh lime leaves
• 2 X small red chillies
• 1 400 ml can of coconut cream
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1 Lemon juiced
• 300g thick white boneless fish cut into 3cm cubes (I use Barramundi but any good fish will do)
• 16 medium green prawns, peeled, deveined
• 12 mussels, cleaned
• 1/2 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
• Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
• Lime wedges, to serve
(Crush the chillies, garlic, ginger, lime leaves and lemon juice separately with a little oil)
METHOD

• Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add eschallots, chopped up garlic, ginger, carrot and chillies and lime leaves. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Add curry paste. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in coconut cream, fish sauce, brown sugar and lime and lemon juices. Bring to the boil.
• Step 2
Reduce heat to medium. Add fish, prawns and mussels. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.

Step 3
Spoon rice into bowls. Ladle over curry. Top with coriander. Serve with lime wedges.

Sounds yummy,thanks for posting,keezoy.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 12:47 PM

Butternut Squash Curry.

Ingredients:

1 x decent sized butternut squash
5 x medium onions
1 x 1 1/2" cube fresh ginger - finely chopped
3 x cloves garlic - finely chopped
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
dried chilli flakes
black mustard seeds (1stp)
cumin seeds (1sp)
ground cumin
ground coriander
tandoori style curry powder (at least 1 x tbs)
Garam masala
spinach (frozen or fresh)
1 x vegetable stock pot/cube
methi (fenugreek) leaves (optional)

Method:

Peel and finely chop 4 of the onions and place in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water and place over a low heat and simmer until onions are soft (mine took around one hour). When softened, tip the whole lot into a food processor/blender along with any remaining water and blitz
until smooth (consistency of wallpaper paste ). Return to saucepan and add the tin of chopped tomatoes and about 1 x tsp chilli flakes.
Add a block of frozen spinach if using then simmer until the mixture reduces then taste for heat. Add more chilli flakes if desired.
If using fresh spinach add a good handful now and stir in until it's wilted.

In the meantime, peel and de-seed the butternut squash, cut into bite-sized pieces and place in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water, add the stockpot/cube and simmer until the squash is tender. Pour out the liquid leaving the squash in the pan.

For the curry sauce:

Peel and finely slice the remaining onion and place in a large frying pan into which a few sprays of one-cal has been added. Stir and fry over a low heat until the onions begin to caramelise then add the garlic and the ginger. Stir fry together for a couple of minutes then add the mustard and cumin seeds. Stir into the onions then add a good teaspoon each of ground cumin and coriander. Stir into the onions for a few seconds then add some of the onion/tomato mixture to stop the spices burning before adding the curry powder. Stir the whole lot together until well mixed.
Add the butternut squash and heat through stirring gently so as not to break up the squash. Add the remaining onion/tomato mixture and stir together. Check the seasoning - add salt if desired and add more curry powder if needed. Finally, add the methi if using and give the top of the dish a good sprinkling of garam masala before stirring it in.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Do you soak the butternut squash in brine before or after cooking Judd?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

01-07-2019, 03:11 PM

Thank you,Judd,..I absolutely love butternut squash,that recipe sounds yummy!.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Butternut Squash Curry.

Ingredients:

1 x decent sized butternut squash
5 x medium onions
1 x 1 1/2" cube fresh ginger - finely chopped
3 x cloves garlic - finely chopped
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
dried chilli flakes
black mustard seeds (1stp)
cumin seeds (1sp)
ground cumin
ground coriander
tandoori style curry powder (at least 1 x tbs)
Garam masala
spinach (frozen or fresh)
1 x vegetable stock pot/cube
methi (fenugreek) leaves (optional)

Method:

Peel and finely chop 4 of the onions and place in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water and place over a low heat and simmer until onions are soft (mine took around one hour). When softened, tip the whole lot into a food processor/blender along with any remaining water and blitz
until smooth (consistency of wallpaper paste ). Return to saucepan and add the tin of chopped tomatoes and about 1 x tsp chilli flakes.
Add a block of frozen spinach if using then simmer until the mixture reduces then taste for heat. Add more chilli flakes if desired.
If using fresh spinach add a good handful now and stir in until it's wilted.

In the meantime, peel and de-seed the butternut squash, cut into bite-sized pieces and place in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water, add the stockpot/cube and simmer until the squash is tender. Pour out the liquid leaving the squash in the pan.

For the curry sauce:

Peel and finely slice the remaining onion and place in a large frying pan into which a few sprays of one-cal has been added. Stir and fry over a low heat until the onions begin to caramelise then add the garlic and the ginger. Stir fry together for a couple of minutes then add the mustard and cumin seeds. Stir into the onions then add a good teaspoon each of ground cumin and coriander. Stir into the onions for a few seconds then add some of the onion/tomato mixture to stop the spices burning before adding the curry powder. Stir the whole lot together until well mixed.
Add the butternut squash and heat through stirring gently so as not to break up the squash. Add the remaining onion/tomato mixture and stir together. Check the seasoning - add salt if desired and add more curry powder if needed. Finally, add the methi if using and give the top of the dish a good sprinkling of garam masala before stirring it in.
sounds yummy, I've just made my dad some butternut squash and bacon soup!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Do you soak the butternut squash in brine before or after cooking Judd?
No need. It's gently cooked in vegetable stock until tender which, because of it's salt content, serves the purpose admirably.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top