Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 06:59 PM

rain butt

Not having cleaned it out for about 4 years i thought it was about time, and boy did it stink or what.

easiest way was to link the garden hose via a coupler and drain it off into the veg plot

Must have taken 20/30 minutes to drain before I could take it down and wash it out properly. Glad i did as the top feed in pipe was partially blocked even though the gutters have leaf guards on then the small stuff still gets through.
At least another job done for some time before doing again
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Re: rain butt

I see there's a pipe going into the storage box, Realspeed. Do you have another tank in there or watering cans etc?

What I did with mine was keep it on its plastic stand (so that I can get a watering can underneath the tap), but I made the drain pipe so that it has a angled fitting which then sends the water directly into the butt. I had to cut a hole in the top of the lid.
When I clean it, I simply let it drain out through the tap until there's only about a few inches of water left and just push it off the stand and tip the gunge out. It's a cumbersome thing but it doesn't take so much time.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 02:36 PM

this may explain. you question made me smile, Sorry.

Saves Sue having to hold the watering can while filling

so what happens when you butt if full you don't appear to have any divert to stop it overflowing

This is my intercepter on my downpipe

so when to Butt is full (to where the ridged hose connects to the intercepter) the rainwater runs off on another pipe below it. ie the white pipe fixed to the fence

Inside the interceper are two "Sections".

So first of all the incoming water goes to the outer area around inside the unit and into the Butt via the ribbed hose. When that is full the inner area being set lower down then has the water goes into that internal overflow instead and away as normal.
Hope this makes a bit of sense

The next clever trick I use is one of these

a hose connector, so if I need to drain off the but I just add a longer hose . The butt being high up and water finds its own level it doesn't take that long to empty
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Impressive stuff, Realspeed. You have a very inventive and practical mind

It's a good idea with the diverting pipe. I just let mine fill right to the top and then it flows over the edge back onto the gravel. It's only rain anyway so it gets absorbed the same way.

I see from your new photo about the watering can too. But why have the water butt so high up? Whatever, bud, you have some interesting ideas and I did like what you did with your garden layout a few months back

Does anyone else have any classic rain water butt stories to share?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-09-2019, 03:45 PM

That is where the Butt was when we bought the place. Also being high up when draining the flow away is quicker to the veg plot 55ft away
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

07-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
That is where the Butt was when we bought the place.
I see mate. Does the job so no reason to move it
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-09-2019, 04:36 PM

notice a drip around the ribbed pipe to where it goes into the butt. So a stop gap is plumbers mate until I reposition(turn) the butt next time I drain it down.

At least it is still slug free inside at the moment
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Looks like you need a real tank, you can come and practice on mine I have a couple, they are 2500 litres each - not toy tanks.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden Water Tank.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	10638  
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

08-09-2019, 09:38 AM

Bruce

That sure is some tub. Here is an idea, If you cut the top off you could go scuba diving, or get a friend o join you and play water polo

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Bruce

That sure is some tub. Here is an idea, If you cut the top off you could go scuba diving, or get a friend o join you and play water polo

...and let them become a breeding ground for mozzies? I think not. Better to just use them for water storage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top