Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Why Has My White Rose Suddenly Changed To Pink?

This Summer, l bought a rose at the garden centre. You know me, l always go for the bargains there.

I bought a rose that was normally £15 reduced to £3. It hadn’t got got a label and didn’t state the type of rose or the colour.

I waited excitedly for it to bloom and was surprised when it had creamy white flowers.
The other day, l cut all the dead white roses off and there was one rose bud left.

Today, l looked and the rose that is emerging is pink! I did a double take and wondered if l was looking at Queen Elizabeth a pink rose that is next to it. No, it was definitely the white rose.

How can this be? Can roses change colour?

(It is in a large pot filled with compost, not in the ground.)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Re: Why Has My White Rose Suddenly Changed To Pink?

I have seen this Art. I've noticed the white rose climbing on the patio has some pink buds. The pinks on mine often don't open. Maybe a sign of autumn and cooler weather/shorter days?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 11:02 PM

I bought a snow white Hydrangea several years ago, that reverted back to pink too.

Have a scroll down this gardening blog, Art.
It seems you are not the only one.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/dis...ses-going-pink
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Might be because its ashamed of being a Yorkie and wants to become the red rose of England
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 11:34 AM

If it stays pink (sometimes they bloom as white from pink buds)can it be something to do with grafting ?

Hydrangeas change according to the soil i.e. Alkaline and acids
. and I have a pure white wisteria , 25 yrs old,that has put a sucker out below the graft which now goes under next doors fence. This year for the first time I saw it was blooming blue flowers on next doors side. So all sorts of reasons I suspect for colour change in different plants.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top