Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
GimmeSunshine
New Member!
NORFOLK UK
GimmeSunshine is male 

14-10-2019, 07:25 PM

Seeds from your holidays

While holidaying in Malta I sat on a bench (see profile picture) by a large old free species unknown on the ground around the tree were thousands of round seeds about the size of peas very hard.I picked some up and put in my pocket and brought them back home I planted one of the seeds after soaking it in water for the night planted it in a pot and after awhile it grew into a young tree it's now almost 2 feet in height. Maybe one day I will find out what sort of tree it is but it's growing well in our climate.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Re: Seeds from your holidays

Wow. That sounds interesting. Well done.
Any pictures?

Did you not know the tree the seeds came from?
I hope the winter doesn't kill it.

P.S. What did you mean by a large old free species?
I'm guessing you meant tree species?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:26 PM

I brought home some Foxglove seeds growing in the countryside in Cornwall.
They come up every year in different parts of my garden, far away from where l originally grew them.

I have grown Yukkas after planting seeds l have found on the ground, at hotels

I thought it was illegal to bring plants in, from abroad. I know l read about it in Custom and Excise leaflets and it carries a big fine.
Maybe it doesn’t apply to seeds?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Oh Gawd, Art, you could be right.
Best be careful, David.

Just found this from the RHS.

Legislation

Most countries have regulations concerning the collection of plants from the wild, including seed. These regulations are likely to prohibit collection from certain protected places, such as national parks, ban the collection of rare or endangered species, and require permits to collect where special protection measures are not in place.
In addition there is likely to be an additional permit to export any collected plant material. Travellers are advised of regulations in force at airports and other points of entry to a country.
Breach of the regulations will result, as a minimum, in the confiscation of plant material if discovered and any such material brought back to the UK is illegal.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 09:05 PM

David, It’s ok, your secret is safe with us! We’ll visit you in prison!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
David, It’s ok, your secret is safe with us! We’ll visit you in prison!

...... or perhaps send him a cake with a file in it?
GimmeSunshine
New Member!
NORFOLK UK
GimmeSunshine is male 

14-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Don't forget the Marmite & sweeties!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 12:05 AM

I know nothing about seeds and plants but these people seem to:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/neighbour-...nts-and-seeds/

Bringing plants and seeds into the UK

Importing plants and seeds

There are several restrictions on what plants, seeds and other plant products can be brought back into the UK from other countries. This is important because plants and plant material can carry pests and diseases which, if introduced to other countries, can cause serious environmental and agricultural problems.

Importing from an EU country

When returning from certain countries within the European Union (EU) and other specified countries, you can bring back to the UK any plants, seeds, bulbs and similar plant products if:

• They were grown in an EU country (or a country treated as an EU country for these purposes, below);
  • They are free from pests and diseases (as set out in The Plant Health (England) Order 2005);
  • They are for your own personal consumption.
  • Commercial importers will be required to obtain a licence before they can import such products into the UK.

Which countries are within the EU?

For the purposes of these rules, the following countries are within the EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (only those areas effectively controlled by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including Madeira and the Azores), Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the UK (including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).

EU countries also include: Andorra, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican City. However, Gibraltar and the Canary Islands do not count as being part of the EU.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
...... or perhaps send him a cake with a file in it?
Or some of Arty's shortbread, mmm make me some arty
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

15-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Or some of Arty's shortbread, mmm make me some arty
LQ, Have l put the seed in your head?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top