Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 08:57 PM

correcting distortion in a photo

yes me playing again.

One of my lenses is a wide one 12-24mm which may not mean much until you see what happens to a photo

below a typical example. door frame leaning @12mm

now corrected to an extent but the blind is a bit out still

Why is this important to me?

Well this particular lens is really for Nikon DX format cameras, I wanted to see what it would be like on my Nikon FX format camera and if the distortion could be corrected using Adobe Elements editing suit

yesI could have used my 24-70mm lens but that

Conclusion

One can correct to an extent but not entirely. So now I now my little experiment isn't up to what I expected.

So now to try on a camera that the lens is designed for
unedited on a DX camera.

same thing but a bit better less distortion, which can only mean ultra wide angle in a small area is not a good idea. Even tried editing with the same result.

Either that or I am rubbish at taking wide angle in a small area
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 09:25 PM

Re: correcting distortion in a photo

I don't believe you can blame your wonkiness on your choice of lens. A DX lens on a FX camera can result in vignetting.

Wonkiness is an old age thing.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 10:03 PM

Distortion can be corrected with software too:

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Distortion can be corrected with software too:

that is not a sma!l space
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 11:54 PM

The principle works the same for large or small spaces, although there is a price to pay for the correction in both cases. The corrected image gets somewhat clipped at the edges and so it needs enlarging a little if it is to be the same size as the original. Still a little curvature on the door too ..but better than it was.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

29-10-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The principle works the same for large or small spaces, although there is a price to pay for the correction in both cases. The corrected image gets somewhat clipped at the edges and so it needs enlarging a little if it is to be the same size as the original. Still a little curvature on the door too ..but better than it was.

was that taken at 12mm wide angle? only mine was and the wider the angle the more distortion. when you start getting to say 24+ mm not being so wide the distortion is far less but then is the field of view
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

29-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
was that taken at 12mm wide angle? only mine was and the wider the angle the more distortion. when you start getting to say 24+ mm not being so wide the distortion is far less but then is the field of view
It's an interesting subject and I used to have a Praktica camera ages ago that could take different lenses. I've still got a telephoto and a wide angle lens but haven't got the camera anymore. I only use a compact camera these days. A Canon SX260 HS, so quite a good one and it's OK for most things.

If I want to correct something like that though, I do have to rely on software to do it. It turns out a fairly satisfactory result. I hope you won't mind but I had a go at your original photo. Xara Photo & Graphics Designer has a tool dedicated to correcting this type of distortion and that's what I've been using here.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

29-10-2019, 10:17 AM

wow that is better than my adobe elements editing suite can do. It does have a distortion correction facility but not as good as that
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

29-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
wow that is better than my adobe elements editing suite can do. It does have a distortion correction facility but not as good as that
It is a one step operation too. The tool analyses edges that it thinks should be vertical and applies the correction. It doesn't always get it right but does about 95% of the time. A drawback is that it produces that clipping of the edges of the photo but perhaps not to an extent that matters.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 10:34 AM

I had a quick go using Gimp, saved a bit more top & bottom but horizontals (wall tiles far wall) not great.

I could correct that by dragging bottom right corner down, but would lose foreground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top