Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 07:30 PM

Spider Plant Maternity Ward

Hi
All the plants I bought online died shortly after they eventually arrived, £40 down the drain.

All I have left now is the spider plant I bought from where I cannot remember which seems to be doing fine. Looking at it today it has a "baby" spider plant growing from a shoot. Can I take this off and when as it looks quite large now.
Thank you
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Re: Spider Plant Maternity Ward

MC, what I do if I want to keep the 'babies' is just the same as with strawberry runners.
You should have along thin stem sprouted out from the mother plant, with the baby plantlet on the tip of this. Is that so?

If so, all you need to do is fill a small pot with cuttings compost, water it, then gently pull the baby plantlet down until it touches the soil in the new pot. You can peg it down, or else push it into the compost so it makes contact with the new soil.

You will find that quite soon it will form roots and send them down into the new pot. When it is well rooted and self-sufficient, just snip the connecting stem from the mother plant. Don't separate it from the mother until it has rooted.
Hey presto - job done.

If you don't want to root more babies, just snip them off and discard them.

May I ask why you bought the plants online? Trouble with that is, you don't get to see them before you hand over your money.

Were they all houseplants? Did you get growing instructions with them?
If they were 'Carnivorous' plants e.g. Venus Fly Traps, they have to have rain water, not tap water.

African Violets need to be watered from underneath, don't wet the leaves or they will rot.
Some plants will scorch in the sun, others don't like drafts etc. . .etc. .

All plants have different needs, that is why I said did you get growing instructions.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 10:29 PM

Congratulations MC.

Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
MC, what I do if I want to keep the 'babies' is just the same as with strawberry runners.
You should have along thin stem sprouted out from the mother plant, with the baby plantlet on the tip of this. Is that so?

If so, all you need to do is fill a small pot with cuttings compost, water it, then gently pull the baby plantlet down until it touches the soil in the new pot. You can peg it down, or else push it into the compost so it makes contact with the new soil.

You will find that quite soon it will form roots and send them down into the new pot. When it is well rooted and self-sufficient, just snip the connecting stem from the mother plant. Don't separate it from the mother until it has rooted.
Hey presto - job done.

If you don't want to root more babies, just snip them off and discard them.

May I ask why you bought the plants online? Trouble with that is, you don't get to see them before you hand over your money.

Were they all houseplants? Did you get growing instructions with them?
If they were 'Carnivorous' plants e.g. Venus Fly Traps, they have to have rain water, not tap water.

African Violets need to be watered from underneath, don't wet the leaves or they will rot.
Some plants will scorch in the sun, others don't like drafts etc. . .etc. .

All plants have different needs, that is why I said did you get growing instructions.
Thankyou Mups I will try that. Will buy small pot and compost tomorrow.

I bought the plants online as it was just before I fostered my daughters dogs so wanted non poisonous plants to dogs. Plants all died while the dogs were still here. No instructions from plant company. To be honest they were half dead and damaged when they were delived by courier. Dogs gone back to daughter now but at least their back with their mum leaving Grandpa all on his own again.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Congratulations MC.

Yes its cigars all round while we have a couple of beers to wet the "babies" head
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 12:48 AM

Good luck MC.
The cutting should root easily, so give it a go.
Let us know how you get on.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Hi
All the plants I bought online died shortly after they eventually arrived, £40 down the drain.

All I have left now is the spider plant I bought from where I cannot remember which seems to be doing fine. Looking at it today it has a "baby" spider plant growing from a shoot. Can I take this off and when as it looks quite large now.
Thank you
Let the shoot grow long enough for it to bend over and reach the
ground MC, and then just place a flat pebble on the stalk to hold
it down onto the soil!
Dont over water, but moisten if the soil gets dry!
DONT cut your shoot off your plant yet, wait for it to root first!
These plants root themselves very easily, so you should have no
problems really?
Regards Donkeyman!
PS. I think you were ripped off MC it you payed 40 quid for them?
Let me know if you need some more and they will only cost you
the postage?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top