Join for free
Reply
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Sweetie pie's Avatar
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Sweetie pie is offline
Dorset
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 26,460
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:21 PM
21

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I enjoyed my experience i had a week off work !

It was interesting and sat on two cases that week

The usher was talking to us and said " there is no such thing as justice " words ive never forgotten

Id ,love to do it again

Mind you what realist says is concerning and i expect could be a concern. I remember during a break for lunch and wanting a drink i went into a room to the coffee machine and there were 6 or 7 members of the family of the bloke in the doc , i walked in and the silence was scarey as they watched me collect my coffee , not a word was spoken and all eyes were on me.

I am glad I started this thread.
You are all preparing me.
I had no idea what to expect.
Reply With Quote
Newcomer
Senior Member
Newcomer is offline
Dorset
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 820
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:23 PM
22

Re: Jury Service

When I was young I remember my mum doing it and she really enjoyed the experience.
Reply With Quote
Sweetie pie's Avatar
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Sweetie pie is offline
Dorset
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 26,460
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:25 PM
23

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
When I was young I remember my mum doing it and she really enjoyed the experience.
Thank you. X
I hope I do
It is a new experience for me.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 27,625
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:25 PM
24

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I enjoyed my experience i had a week off work !

It was interesting and sat on two cases that week

The usher was talking to us and said " there is no such thing as justice " words ive never forgotten

Id ,love to do it again

Mind you what realist says is concerning and i expect could be a concern. I remember during a break for lunch and wanting a drink i went into a room to the coffee machine and there were 6 or 7 members of the family of the bloke in the doc , i walked in and the silence was scarey as they watched me collect my coffee , not a word was spoken and all eyes were on me.
I'm not sure how that happened. We were kept completely separate to the public apart from lunchtimes, we could go out then but even so had to be signed out and back in. At no time did we come into contact with anyone except court staff. As I said though, we all got on so well that we had lunch together too.
Reply With Quote
Omah's Avatar
Omah
Senior Member
Omah is online now
Preston,UK
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,319
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:35 PM
25

Re: Jury Service

I served once, for a fortnight, and sat on three cases - child molestation, assault with a deadly weapon and fraud.

My experience was mostly "enjoyable", but other jurors sat on cases of murder or rape, ugly and unpleasant, even emotionally upsetting.

If the procedure is still the same, you will have an induction session on your first morning which will familiarise you with the court's expectations.

I was lucky enough to meet up with jurors from my home town so we travelled to the city Crown Court together, on the train, every day. We couldn't discuss case details but, after a day in court, it was helpful to "offload" the day's emotions before arriving home.

If you are called for a case, you will soon bond with some (or even all) of the other jurors - for some reason, I found myself drawn to a glamourous jeweller's wife from Lytham St. Annes .....
Reply With Quote
Sweetie pie's Avatar
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Sweetie pie is offline
Dorset
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 26,460
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:36 PM
26

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I served once, for a fortnight, and sat on three cases - child molestation, assault with a deadly weapon and fraud.

My experience was mostly "enjoyable", but other jurors sat on cases of murder or rape, ugly and unpleasant, even emotionally upsetting.

If the procedure is still the same, you will have an induction session on your first morning which will familiarise you with the court's expectations.

I was lucky enough to meet up with jurors from my home town so we travelled to the city Crown Court together, on the train, every day. We couldn't discuss case details but, after a day in court, it was helpful to "offload" the day's emotions before arriving home.

If you are called for a case, you will soon bond with some (or even all) of the other jurors - for some reason, I found myself drawn to a glamourous jeweller's wife from Lytham St. Annes .....
Bless for the final sentence, it made me smile.
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is online now
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 7,982
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:38 PM
27

Re: Jury Service

I did jury service some years ago at Kingston upon Thames crown court. have to say it is an experience. You soon realise how clever these lawyers/solicitors are . They can ask a question which seems so innocent, then later on as another and then refer back to the first answer which is different, thereby trapping the witness.

Only if found guilty do you get to find out any previous crimes when the Judge passes sentence.

The swearing in at the beginning is when the defence can challenge up to 3 times (I believe) without giving any reason. Maybe because they want more of one sex on the jury than another, or they know the person already, for example.
On the 3 cases I sat on the same chap was challenged in each case, so they must have had known something about him
Reply With Quote
Sweetie pie's Avatar
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Sweetie pie is offline
Dorset
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 26,460
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:42 PM
28

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I did jury service some years ago at Kingston upon Thames crown court. have to say it is an experience. You soon realise how clever these lawyers/solicitors are . They can ask a question which seems so innocent, then later on as another and then refer back to the first answer which is different, thereby trapping the witness.

Only if found guilty do you get to find out any previous crimes when the Judge passes sentence.
I thought Garrows Law changed all that.
I know that part.
Oh well, all sorts of cases in Bournemouth
Reply With Quote
susan m's Avatar
susan m
Senior Member
susan m is offline
DORSET UK
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,916
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:44 PM
29

Re: Jury Service

LD , I remember wondering why it did actually happen , we jury were in a room on our own most of the time but we're able to go in and out and I went up the corridor to get my coffee from a small side room with a machine that's when I bumped into the 'silent ' family . I never said anything as I thought it was normal to bump into them.
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is online now
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 7,982
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
11-01-2019, 12:44 PM
30

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I thought Garrows Law changed all that.
I know that part.
Oh well, all sorts of cases in Bournemouth
I am going back to he mid 1970's, so things might have changed a bit since then.
Take no notice of the TV program if that is what you are referring to
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.