Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 04:48 PM

Shopping at John lewis

Went to John Lewis this morning in the hope of buying a quilted jacket and some jeans etc. I tried the first jacket on but it was a bit short, so I was just about to put it back on the rack and try another when one of the staff came over and said that he had to take it away from me now as I was not meant to have tried it on. There was actually a sticker on the mirror saying as much but I didn't notice it.

So I handed him the jacket and asked if I was allowed to try another but I was told 'no not really.' I then asked how I was meant to buy a jacket that I was happy with and was told I had to buy it, take it home, then try it on; if no good bring it back for a refund and it would then be sent off to quarantine.

Obviously the result would be the same, one jacket, tried on, returned and quarantined.The only difference being that I would need to be arsed to do all of that continually until I found one the fitted. Obviously not his fault, he was just following company policy.

Eventually I found the answer to all this. I bought one in Debenhams who just happened to have a third off the price. I also bought two pairs of Levi's - still no changing room open but at least I got a coat that fitted.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 04:54 PM

Re: Shopping at John lewis

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago LD, in that I was told off for trying on a coat. However, on their advice I bought it, tried it on just in the car park then, as it was too small, took it back for a cash refund then bought the size up and went home a happy bunny. Bit of a faff though, but I suppose they have to go with government advice and guidelines...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Could have been worse. You might have been trying on some y fronts.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago LD, that I was told off for trying on a coat, so on their advice I bought it, tried it on just in the car park then, as it was too small, took it back for a cash refund then bought the size up and went home a happy bunny. Bit of a faff though, but I suppose they have to go with government advice and guidelines...
Glad you got something you liked too Barry. What I find weird is that you could have just tried it on in the store rather than in the car park. I suppose the difference is that if you buy it, they know it HAS to be sent away (or whatever they do with it). I wonder though, how many people come along and feel the material?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 04:58 PM

I thought Debenhams had gone down the swanny. You may need to talk to a liquidator about any refund.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 04:59 PM

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago LD, in that I was told off for trying on a coat. However, on their advice I bought it, tried it on just in the car park then, as it was too small, took it back for a cash refund then bought the size up and went home a happy bunny. Bit of a faff though, but I suppose they have to go with government advice and guidelines...
Technically, you could have bought the coat, tried it on while you were still at the till (having paid for it) and if it didn't fit you'd be conveniently placed to get your refund without having to move anywhere.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-12-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I thought Debenhams had gone down the swanny. You may need to talk to a liquidator about any refund.
I think they are going down the Swanny but not quite there yet. That's why the place was so busy, all looking for bargains.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

10-12-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
This is a very good point!! Given how many retailers seem to go bust so quickly, one cannot but help wonder about the dangers of buying anything, yet alone gifts which might be purchased a few weeks prior to Xmas.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Technically, you could have bought the coat, tried it on while you were still at the till (having paid for it) and if it didn't fit you'd be conveniently placed to get your refund without having to move anywhere.
True Dex, but they insisted it couldn't be tried on in the store, and besides I needed the exercise..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-12-2020, 05:04 PM

True Dex, but they insisted it couldn't be tried on in the store, and besides I needed the exercise..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top