Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Panasonic Lumix TZ60.

Thinking of treating myself to a new compact camera. Every year Panasonic bring out out a better model and this one seems the best. What do the more expert photographers think of it ?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2014, 10:29 AM

Re: Panasonic Lumix TZ60.

It has good high spec Alan, 30x optical zoom, equivalent to 24-720mm great for wildlife, 18.1 megapixel, im currently using 4mp. Shoots in RAW something im missing greatly at the moment. Has an electronic viewfinder is a great help.

Points made against it are no touch screen, focus slow in low light, and noise being an issue at higher sensitivities, much can be said of any camera and as you seem to take lots of landscapes in good light i feel you wont have problems with this. It does have some image stabilization, handy at lower light, also HD video.

It looks to be very lightweight and compact, great for those on the move. Had a look online at some of the images taken by this Macro and Wildlife being my subjects and both subjects have been covered and are good for such a compact camera. Price does seem variable so worth a check around.

Im no expert, both my compacts are ancient, others may offer more detailed opinions and other options.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Hi Nom, it's the 30* optical zoom and the EVF which appeals to me. What is the significance of the RAW capability? I know very little about the technicalities of photography.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2014, 02:22 PM

Raw is a file type Alan, it captures everything seen by the lens without processing not ready for printing, so using a photoshop type programme you can correct for wrong exposure,and precise adjustments to detail etc, its also quite size heavy so less images on your card.

Thats a very rough guide, the real toggers will have a more in depth view.

My largest camera lens combo on the DSLR i had gave me 580mm of focal length, of course i found the quality does drop a little at the short and long length, not sure if it is an issue with compacts.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

22-09-2014, 04:42 PM

I've taken the plunge and bought it from a Kettering shop where they charged less than Amazon and they took two of my old cameras in PX. I can't wait to give it a serious trial.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

22-09-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I've taken the plunge and bought it from a Kettering shop where they charged less than Amazon and they took two of my old cameras in PX. I can't wait to give it a serious trial.
Looking forward to seeing the results Alan,it may be the way i have to go in the future.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 05:09 PM

I have this camera, have not had it long & I am still getting used to the functions on it. I had & have the TZ9 before, for many years, time for an upgrade I thought.

A photo taken with the TZ60

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Enjoy your new camera. The answer to your OP is one that your happy with.
it is no good getting one that is all bells and whistles if you are not taking up photography seriously, and now compact cameras photo wise are as good (if not better in some cases) than a huge great DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera.

The question of "Which Camera should I buy" is frequently asked on another forum, and the general concensus is one that fits in the hand comfortably- easy to understand the menu for first time users- and the biggest advice is to go and try one out in a shop first.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Tiffany

What a great shot, cameras seem to have an objection to red to a degree I find so you have done remarkably well with this one

Little trick I sometimes use is with Adobe Element 10 and the depth of field setting within that program.

That can really throw this type of shot right at the viewer as below for example. Great with a small subject

Could be a little sharper but that is not why I posted it

Maybe worth thinking about?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Tiffany

What a great shot, cameras seem to have an objection to red to a degree I find so you have done remarkably well with this one

Little trick I sometimes use is with Adobe Element 10 and the depth of field setting within that program.

That can really throw this type of shot right at the viewer as below for example. Great with a small subject

Could be a little sharper but that is not why I posted it

Maybe worth thinking about?
Thank you very much and for the advice. I am still experimenting with it.
Can't get macro perfect yet, but I'll get here. I do use the Panasonic Photofunstudio thingy. The disc that came with the camera.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top