Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 05:51 PM

Re: Coming in to land

Originally Posted by ShirleyMarie ->
I saw this photo as soon as you posted it...love it! Any photo with a bird or critter in it is mostly luck when you get it right...as realspeed said, so much againest you. Sorry it has taken me so long to tell you how much I appreciate seeing this.
Many thanks for all the comments, it means a lot and makes it all worthwhile. This was a lucky shot, being in the right place just at the right time, which proves a theory of mine that photography of wildlife is strongly dependant on a lot of luck, as well as having some of the right gear, and having it ready at the right time, as well as being lucky with weather and lighting.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 08:56 PM

What I find frustrating is seeing a great shot and not having a camera on me at the time. Having said that when you do hit the nail on the head so to speak, the sense of achievement outweighs all those" if only" moments. Of course you do get those "Machine gunner" photographers that fire off shots in the hope of getting a good one, but that is not my style as I am sure not Grahams either.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ShirleyMarie ->
I saw this photo as soon as you posted it...love it! Any photo with a bird or critter in it is mostly luck when you get it right...as realspeed said, so much againest you. Sorry it has taken me so long to tell you how much I appreciate seeing this.
Im going to disagree with this, i studied birds and wildlife long before i took up photographing them, fieldcraft and patience far outweigh pure luck, though i wont disregard it.

Top equipment can help, but knowing your subject, its habits quirks and habitat can pay great dividends, most modern photographers disregard this.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
What I find frustrating is seeing a great shot and not having a camera on me at the time. Having said that when you do hit the nail on the head so to speak, the sense of achievement outweighs all those" if only" moments. Of course you do get those "Machine gunner" photographers that fire off shots in the hope of getting a good one, but that is not my style as I am sure not Grahams either.
In this instance with the swan, it was a single shot. But with some of my owl-in-flight shots, I set the camera to rapid fire and take a burst of shots at a time. This, together with keeping the bird in frame and in focus, usually means I take several hundred shots in a short space of time. 90% of them are useless for various reasons, but of those left are useable and maybe one or two are ideal.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 10:27 PM

My D300 with the battery grip is capable of around 8 frames a second So I could easily go down that route as well but hammering a camera like that is like driving a car flat out all the time and sooner or later something has to give.
Everyone has their own methods and it is up to them but I prefer less shots and capture the moment with good timing

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top