Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:00 AM

Re: Depression

Originally Posted by MADAMENOTMISS ->
The last line is the Gospel truth. Even with my anti-depressant, and other pills, not every day is easy to make it thru.
As DL said, please join in on the threads , especially if you feel alone. There are lots of like minded friends here
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:46 AM

This is a very bad time of year for depression, when it's so cold and dark and the winter seems to go on for ever.
I too have to do battle with it and have done for many years. December and January are always difficult. Mornings are worse than evenings.
It's very hard to reach out to what really feels like an uncaring world, where it's so hard to see kindness.
I particularly feel sorry for the many young people who are struggling with a feeling of hopelessness.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
This is a very bad time of year for depression, when it's so cold and dark and the winter seems to go on for ever.
I too have to do battle with it and have done for many years. December and January are always difficult. Mornings are worse than evenings.
It's very hard to reach out to what really feels like an uncaring world, where it's so hard to see kindness.
I particularly feel sorry for the many young people who are struggling with a feeling of hopelessness.
January is a depressing month Anita. Cold, dark and gloomy. Difficult sometimes to not let it affect the mood.

I can't bear to think of young people feeling bad, but unfortunately no one is immune to this awful illness.

I'm very fortunate in that my medication has taken the edge off it.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 12:40 PM

I can slide into depression at the drop of a hat these days but I used to be such a cheerful bloke!

With me it's self doubt and lack of self confidence - one small knock and I'm right down the bottom of a deep, dark well.

Take some comfort in the fact Linda that here, at least you'll not be completely alone. stevmk2
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 01:40 PM

I've never been an exceptionally happy person. It's just not my nature to be bubbly. In fact I've probably heard the words "Smile, your face might freeze like that" more times than any other living human being.

But getting older has just made it worse. I think because I'm facing the fact that I'm more than halfway through my life and never really did anything with it. The most important and incredible thing I've accomplished is giving birth to my son. He's my angel, he's the most important thing in this world to me. But other than that and now that I'm older, I realize I've wasted my life. I didn't go to school to do what I wanted to do and although I have a decent job, it's not my career choice.

It's funny, when you're young you think you've got all the time in the world. "Oh I'll do that later, I've got plenty of time." And then later comes and you realize that extra time is gone for good. And it's depressing to know you can never get it back.
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 02:55 PM

I fight those same feelings daily Linda. From being an outgoing and sometime intrepid character. I now find myself practically a recluse. Retirement a little early (though forced through ill health). Was the worse course of action I could take. I now find myself in self imposed depression, with minimal human contact or even the motivation to pursue contact with others. The situation is self perpetuating and worsens by the year.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

16-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I've never been an exceptionally happy person. It's just not my nature to be bubbly. In fact I've probably heard the words "Smile, your face might freeze like that" more times than any other living human being.

But getting older has just made it worse. I think because I'm facing the fact that I'm more than halfway through my life and never really did anything with it. The most important and incredible thing I've accomplished is giving birth to my son. He's my angel, he's the most important thing in this world to me. But other than that and now that I'm older, I realize I've wasted my life. I didn't go to school to do what I wanted to do and although I have a decent job, it's not my career choice.

It's funny, when you're young you think you've got all the time in the world. "Oh I'll do that later, I've got plenty of time." And then later comes and you realize that extra time is gone for good. And it's depressing to know you can never get it back.
Linda. Your post has made me cry. Why? Because you are being far too hard on yourself.

You come across as such a lovely, caring person. You are obviously a fantastic mum, having a lovely child. You are working, which some would choose not to be bothered doing. You've got so many positive characteristics from what I've seen through your posts. You're incredibly understanding.

I think many of us come to a stage in life when we look back and wish we'd done things differently. I think it's just part of life and I bet we've all been great at the things we've done so far.

So! Don't be so hard on you
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 03:17 PM

I think the thing with regrets is you can say I've wasted my life had so many missed opportunities and waste the rest of your days saying so, or you can make the most of the years you have left.

It really is up to the individual themselves to make the decision, it is tempting to feel that you have been dealt a bad hand and that it's so unfair but we only have to look around to see that there are always people far worse off than us.

Don't waste precious time which can never be recovered, do something every day that has a positive outcome no matter how small it is.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 03:37 PM

Aye,regret is just a wasted emotion..I could write a book about the mental and physical abuse I suffered in My Adult younger Years,but I refuse to let those happenings still affect Me into My old age,or the People who caused them...I'm naturally a positive Person,but for the past 20 Yrs or so I've become less trusting of Folks,but I'm still happy to wake up hale and hearty most Mornings and be glad for the good things in Life,especially My Children/G/Children and My fairly good health....The past is another Country I just prefer not to visit too often,and I refuse to allow it to spoil whatever time I have left.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 04:30 PM

Dunno about anyone else but reading these posts has some definite therapeutic value to me.

I'm now thinking - it's NOT just me then...... stevmk2

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top