Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 09:41 AM

Re: The Flu Jab

I have the flu jab and the pneumonia one, I have never had flu and since having it that hasn't changed. However I was prone to really bad chest infections 2 or 3 a year and the injections have stopped those dead in their tracks, also when I do get a cold it is far milder, usually only lasts a couple of days and the cough afterwards that used to go on for weeks/months is a tiny tickle for a few days.

Flu jab doesn't just protect against flu IMO so is still well worth having.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Thank you Meg, it wasn't fun and also the post viral fatigue and feeling of depression which can also go with it.
I think the virus isn't as active now so hopefully you will be ok.
The best thing you can do is make sure you wash your hands as soon as you get home and don't touch your face or eyes etc while you are there as that's the most common way of catching it rather than from people coughing etc.
Thank you Anita , noted. There is an antiseptic gel dispenser in the doctors I will use it on arrival and departure. I will sit well away from other patients too.
I am paranoid about catching anything these days because of an ongoing chest condition.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
The flu virus mutates and there is no way of predicting when it will happen, so sometimes the vaccine isn't as effective.
I got the flu this year, and I can honestly say it was terrible, it started on Jan 5th and I'm still not really over it. I had a high temperature and pain in my joints, terrible headache and cough and even stomach ache.
I couldn't sleep properly and was just waking and sleeping at all kinds of strange times of the day and night and having nightmares.
I was barely able to wash myself and do my teeth, was so exhausted and the tiredness has been with me since but is now finally getting better.
So next year I am definitely getting the flu jab, OH had it this year and he didn't catch the flu from me so would recommend.
Now THAT is the flu! People who are standing in front of me saying they have the flu do not have the flu!

It can, and does, take several weeks to get over the exhaustion and to regain energy. And it does make your joints ache.

Anita, I wish you a speedy recovery. Sending hugs.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

XXX
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Now THAT is the flu! People who are standing in front of me saying they have the flu do not have the flu!

It can, and does, take several weeks to get over the exhaustion and to regain energy. And it does make your joints ache.

Anita, I wish you a speedy recovery. Sending hugs.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

XXX
Janet if they were standing in front of you they are unlikely to have had flu but a cold. Getting out of bed at all with flu is difficult .
You know what they say,

Cold or flu? Apply the so-called £50 test. You're in bed with muscle aches, sore throat and feeling hot. If a £50 note fluttered through your open window, would you a) grab it or b) leave it to flutter out again, unable to drag yourself out of bed? If you answered a), you have a cold b), you have flu.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...iticians-panic
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Janet if they were standing in front of you they are unlikely to have had flu but a cold. Getting out of bed at all with flu is difficult .
You know what they say,
You don't need to tell me Meg! I know only too well.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 12:17 PM

No, because I had one a couple of years ago and for about 3 months I felt totally wretched with one cold after another. So, thanks, but no thanks.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
No, because I had one a couple of years ago and for about 3 months I felt totally wretched with one cold after another. So, thanks, but no thanks.
The serum is dead/inactive it can't give you a cold or any other virus. Sounds like a coincidence.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 01:00 PM

That's true Julie, the bit about the £50 is true also.

I had a glass of water by my bed on a bedside table and when I was reaching for it one day I knocked it over. It was full and went all over the things on the bs table, soaked some books underneath and went over the rug and I just left all there to dry. I wasn't able to do a thing about it. I was at home by myself. I didn't even get another drink until much later.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The serum is dead/inactive it can't give you a cold or any other virus. Sounds like a coincidence.
You are probably right, however, I am most certainly never going to risk it . Strange several of my friends feel the same as they were the same as me.Perhaps we are a funny old lot here in Suffolk.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups that is how it was explained on the radio this morning
and this is why one strain wasn't included..

It reads slightly differently on the BBC site..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31145604

Thanks Meg. It also said similar in today's paper. It said "Ministers knew almost a year ago, that this year's flu jab would be useless. The World Health Organisation said in March 2014 the new strain was detected.
Public Health England admitted the jab could spark the largest number of winter deaths in 15 years. And next year's may also not work".

I do understand about it constantly mutating, but I do feel the problem should be explained to patients before they have the jab, and given a choice whether they wish to proceed or not. I don't think it's fair or honest not to give them enough information.
But the drugs companies get their money either way!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top