Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 08:26 AM

Why I dont bother with my GP

For months Ive had a pain in my upper torso about 5 inches beneath the arm pit and its been a dull ache but the last couple of weeks its got worse, now going straight through my back stabbing into the shoulder blade and making me quite breathless.

The other problem is more recent Ive got a feeling as if Ive got something in my throat.. Its hard to describe but if you have ever swallowed a paracetamol without water and felt the dry pill lodge in the base of your throat just above the collar bone ..Thats the feeling and its making drinking uncomfortable.

Annoying to say the least.

So I went to my gp..
He felt under my arm and back for a lump..I know theres no lump.. I think its a muscle strain he said..
(me) I thought that too but its been there since October..
oh well if its still as bad in a couple of weeks I can refer you for physio..

Throat ..He looks in my mouth.. I cant see anything..
Well no its right down in my throat..
Well Im not sure ,, see if it goes away by itself..

That was an hour of my life wasted and a classic example of why I very rarely visit my GP anymore..
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Re: Why I dont bother with my GP

If it had been me ,i would have said,could i have blood tests and an X-ray as I've had this pain long enough and its not going away . And my concerns are if its left too long it might be past curing .
You can always go and get a second opinion,
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 09:41 AM

Normally I would too Eliza but Im just too tired to fight him atm.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 09:48 AM

Cass I know exactly how you feel but having now gone completely deaf in one ear and straining to hear anything with the other because the GP allowed an ear infection to go on from November to next week (could be longer if they still don't help me on my next appointment) I would suggest if you have one a walk in clinic, according to my sources they are now doing a better job than our GPs.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 09:50 AM

Oh blimey Cass. I think you need to go again and say what Eliza
has said. That's very good advice. A stiff muscle does form a lump
as I have had them in my back when I have pulled one for whatever
reason. This needs more investigation. Your not fighting him you
are fighting for yourself. Please go back and then when its all sorted
you can rest again and not go to the Docs for a long time.

I do agree with your post title. I am the same. My Doc is a woman
and I have mentioned before on here her trying me to take statins,
flu jabs, this that and the other. I told her to keep them. So I
found I was knocking my head against a brick wall. I do however,
occasionally go when I know there is something wrong with me
and that's what I would think if I had your symptoms and would not
rest until the Doc had tried to sort it out. Go for it Cass its your
health not his.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 10:36 AM

I'm fortunate in that I've suffered from good health most of my life so my visits to my doctor have been infrequent, but like most of us I suspect, as age marches on I do tend to see him more often.

My present G P though, I have to admit is excellent. He always pays attention to what I am saying and works hard to diagnose and treat any problem regardless of whatever tests, x-rays or therapies are required. I have had good, bad and indifferent docs over the years but this one is a diamond, it's a shame not everyone can get the same quality of service as I get.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 10:40 AM

I agree that your symptoms need investigating, you probably need an x-Ray at least.
If you say to the GP that you are very concerned and he please refer you for an x-Ray and sound very serious about it, you will be referred.
Unfortunately in the present mess in the NHS it can be he who shouts loudest.

I can't slate the people who work in it as I did myself and have 2 family members who do but I know the pressure not to refer lots of patients is put on GPs too. They see so many who are not really ill, but the skill is in knowing when you should refer and you certainly sound like one of those.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Normally I would too Eliza but Im just too tired to fight him atm.
Take someone along with you Cass ,it helps if they can speak up for you,.
Cass
NL

11-02-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Take someone along with you Cass ,it helps if they can speak up for you,.
A bit of a wry grin from me on that point..

Ive been busy fighting for OH with the same practice..
For a year Ive been saying he needs a memory check.. Finally got to see a locum and basically said Im not moving until you write the referral..
Result, the intitial talk raised such concerns they sent OH for a brain scan (MRI) and interview with neuro phsyc and we are now waiting for the result ..

It was this GP who said there was nothing wrong with OH when he kept complaining of chest pain until he eventually had a heart attack last year.. I will admit he had seen the chest clinic and they hadnt found anything either but when he was finally admitted the cardiologist said he may have has several small HA that hadnt been treated..

I'll give it a week and if nothing is better make an appointment to see one of the other doctors and then gather my strength to bully them!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

11-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Sorry to hear of the problems you've had Cass,i hope by next week you can see another Dr and get some test done on yourself .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top