Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 11:48 AM

The black dog

A perfect description of depression, with a light at the end of the tunnel.http://www.idealistrevolution.org/wh...d-light-on-it/
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Re: The black dog

Indeed one thing I find very sad is some people are depressed because of their situations - living or working conditions and if we had a better society we could cure those people almost instantly by giving them better living conditions or finding them a better job. Instead we medicate.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 12:11 PM

I would add its very scary , I became very frightened ,.
At this present time ive gone a week without AD after being on them for years ,I dont know how long I will be off them ,I sometimes struggle to empty my head of negative thought , I listen to music to fill my head and find that works .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Indeed one thing I find very sad is some people are depressed because of their situations - living or working conditions and if we had a better society we could cure those people almost instantly by giving them better living conditions or finding them a better job. Instead we medicate.
I agree. Difficult living and working conditions can gradually bring a person down.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

15-02-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
At this present time ive gone a week without AD after being on them for years ,I dont know how long I will be off them ,I sometimes struggle to empty my head of negative thought , I listen to music to fill my head and find that works .
I was also very frightened Eliza. And tormented. I hope you manage without the ad's and eventually find peace x
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 12:30 PM

Depression is an awful illness. Anything that helps stop the taboo..

The video is good but as a dog lover its a pity its uses a black dog to describe it.
Black dogs and cats have much less chance of adoption from rescues.
Many people with depression and other mental illness say their only spark of light is their dog..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 12:36 PM

I agree Cass but I guess it's a throwback to how it was described by Churchill.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

15-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Depression is an awful illness. Anything that helps stop the taboo..

The video is good but as a dog lover its a pity its uses a black dog to describe it.
Black dogs and cats have much less chance of adoption from rescues.
Many people with depression and other mental illness say their only spark of light is their dog..
It was Winston Churchill who called it the black dog.

Aww I didn't know that about black dogs and cats. I wonder why that is?

Yes, animals love you unconditionally and are a tonic in themselves.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 01:41 PM

Funny how odd things stick in folks minds

Although reading the folklore of Black dogs one can understand why Winston Churchill gave depression the title

http://ilovewerewolves.com/black-dog-superstitions/

Sadly it can be a life andeath matter for the dog (or cat)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...color-fur.html

Sorry didnt intend to hijack the thread..
My family have suffered with depression of different sorts for many years and its interesting to see that while medical progress has been made albeit slow, the stigma is almost as bad now as it was when my father had it back in the 1970's.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Same here Eliza - its certainly not easy
I think we can all find that something that helps without medication - its a struggle though ......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top