Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 10:23 PM

Re: The black dog

I was a bit puzzled too Cass, the psychologist isn't the right person to diagnose the asthma or neck problems.

I'm wondering if maybe because the psychologist had diagnosed stress that any symptoms were put down to that.

I hope your husband is making a good recovery from his heart attack and gets the asthma under control and the neck issues sorted too.

Pats it is so hard to describe depression, and for that reason I think that people who are going through a difficult time in their lives etc sometimes go to the doctor and are prescribed antidepressants.
There probably isn't anything wrong with that if they help them in the short term but there is another condition which isn't to do with what is happening in your life, it's a sleeping monster which can completely floor you when it wakes up and turn you into a shadow of the person you would be otherwise.

I think fear is a huge part of it and sometimes a complete inertia where it is a huge task to just make a cup of tea and you can feel completely exhausted afterwards. The amount of mental energy needed to talk to someone is huge let alone do a days work, so people stay in bed unable to escape from the mental black hole they are in.

You can see how someone can feel so bad that they feel to die is the only way out and that their loved ones are far better off without them.

I feel very concerned for young people who are suffering like this and would like to see a lot more support for them though I think that understanding is now much better but funding is always an issue.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Pats it is so hard to describe depression, and for that reason I think that people who are going through a difficult time in their lives etc sometimes go to the doctor and are prescribed antidepressants.
There probably isn't anything wrong with that if they help them in the short term but there is another condition which isn't to do with what is happening in your life, it's a sleeping monster which can completely floor you when it wakes up and turn you into a shadow of the person you would be otherwise.

I think fear is a huge part of it and sometimes a complete inertia where it is a huge task to just make a cup of tea and you can feel completely exhausted afterwards. The amount of mental energy needed to talk to someone is huge let alone do a days work, so people stay in bed unable to escape from the mental black hole they are in.

You can see how someone can feel so bad that they feel to die is the only way out and that their loved ones are far better off without them.

I feel very concerned for young people who are suffering like this and would like to see a lot more support for them though I think that understanding is now much better but funding is always an issue.
I agree with every word you say here Anita.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 11:10 PM

Because the psych said the pain was due to stress the gp didnt take OH seriously, he kept saying talk to the psych about any problems..

This has delayed treatment for 6+ months

Damn sorry I mentioned it at all now. :
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Because the psych said the pain was due to stress the gp didnt take OH seriously, he kept saying talk to the psych about any problems..
Right so the fault lies with the GP then.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 01:42 AM

This has delayed treatment for 6+ months

Damn sorry I mentioned it at all now. :
Yes, the psych wasted your oh and the gp's time Cass. Delaying the diagnosis. I know what you mean. The psych should stick to what they really know.
Pats
Lincolnshire

18-02-2015, 04:29 PM

It is a GP's role to 'take his/her patients seriously'
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 04:51 PM

Sounds like the GP assumed what the Psychiatrist said was correct, both were to blame the only innocent is the patient who is being misdiagnosed and having treatment delayed IMO
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 05:47 PM

Some may argue that the `black dog` for Churchill made him the leader he became in 1940.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tlSx0jkuLM
Possibly so, been there but when I come up I rock.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sounds like the GP assumed what the Psychiatrist said was correct, both were to blame the only innocent is the patient who is being misdiagnosed and having treatment delayed IMO
TBH without being there and hearing the actual conversations it's very hard to say.
The way you say something can make a massive difference and we don't know anything about the previous appointments etc, so many variables.

OG glad to hear you rock, keep on rocking!!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
It is a GP's role to 'take his/her patients seriously'
In this case the gp sounds as though he left it to another profession..................

Sorry your oh had to go through this negligence Cass

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top