Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 08:46 AM

Re: Subsidies for snack manufacturers

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
Snack food and confectionery companies, including Nestlé and PepsiCo, are paid substantial government subsidies to help them make products.

1. Mondelez, which split from Kraft and owns the Cadbury’s brand, was given nearly £638,000 by Innovate UK – formerly known as the Technology Strategy Board – from 2013 to 2015 to help the multinational giant develop a process to distribute nuts and raisins more regularly in its chocolate bars.

Product development surely should be a R & D charge born by the company

2 Nestlé received more than £487,000 to invent an energy-efficient machine for making chocolate, while PepsiCo was awarded £356,000 to help develop new ways of drying potatoes and vegetables to make crisps.

This again should be a R & D charge as any energy saving should result in a reduced cost benefit to the Company.
There is a government drive to innovate here, I quite often hear the adverts on the radio asking anyone running a company who needs money for R&D to apply for funds because funds are available to help them.

I think the idea is to make more jobs but I am not entirely sure they just seem to be handing out our cash to the bosses while they cut money from other people
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My husband fills snack vending machines for a living, they experiment every couple of years with healthier snacks hoping to get people interested. Usually after they have thrown all the out of date stuff out and fielded calls from disgruntled customers asking what the eff are they doing, where are their snickers and doritos etc
You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
So true. By the same token, here in the states, we've got Michelle Obama making radical changes to school lunches - lunches that aren't going over very big with students. She's trying to force everyone to eat healthier and schools is where she discovered she can take control. Well, it's not working out so well. The students are rebelling and even writing letters to Michelle, telling her that her new food program "sucks" and I know a couple of ladies who work in the high school and middle school cafeterias and all the so-called 'healthy' stuff that is sent out on lunch trays comes right back to the kitchen. The kids aren't eating it.

Super big waste of not only food, but money. Total backfire.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
So true. By the same token, here in the states, we've got Michelle Obama making radical changes to school lunches - lunches that aren't going over very big with students. She's trying to force everyone to eat healthier and schools is where she discovered she can take control. Well, it's not working out so well. The students are rebelling and even writing letters to Michelle, telling her that her new food program "sucks" and I know a couple of ladies who work in the high school and middle school cafeterias and all the so-called 'healthy' stuff that is sent out on lunch trays comes right back to the kitchen. The kids aren't eating it.

Super big waste of not only food, but money. Total backfire.
I don't think it can ever work we need to educate people to care about what they eat, not give them no option. Having said that I have the education and have lost weight but I looked at what I could have for breakfast and chose of all the healthy stuff we have a couple of fig rolls just because I fancied them - no nutrition in them ! So education isn't enough.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think it can ever work we need to educate people to care about what they eat, not give them no option. Having said that I have the education and have lost weight but I looked at what I could have for breakfast and chose of all the healthy stuff we have a couple of fig rolls just because I fancied them - no nutrition in them ! So education isn't enough.
Well, I agree, but the problem is people can't be educated unless they want to be. If they don't care, they're not going to listen. And attempting to shove healthful foods down their throats obviously doesn't work either.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 01:27 PM

As a youngster, and maybe even more so as a university student, I ate all sorts of 'junk' - and so did my peers. We all came through it and as we got a bit older and wiser(?) we became more aware of our health and what we were eating.

Eating some 'junk' for part of your life is unlikely to do much lasting harm.
It's only if you eat 'junk' all the time that you may have trouble later.

I expect that you could have problems from eating too much, or badly balanced, 'healthy' foods.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-03-2015, 02:09 PM

I agree with that, I saw part of a recent programme about sugar, they seemed to be saying at the end perhaps a ban on sugary drinks was needed to combat obesity but in moderation I can see they are fine. Thin people drink them too so they must be doing something the fat people aren't. A blanket ban would not be good for everyone or fair for people who can be moderate sugar eaters.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top