Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 04:04 PM

Who do we believe?

An excerpt from todays paper:

"On February 15th a new study said women over 50 who are taking HRT had a hugely increased risk of developing ovarian cancer.
This week, another study says women taking HRT in their fifties could slash the risk of heart disease and premature death.
So what the hell do we do? Do we take it nor not?"

Fortunately this doesn't affect me, as I never took it anyway, but this type of conflicting information must cause a dilemma for some.

This happens time and again. We're told what's best one minute, then after half the women in the nation are doing it, they change their minds. I wish the bods would make sure of their facts before they publish information.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 04:22 PM

Re: Who do we believe?

It changes depending who's giving the advice, I think. Since I never really had HRT apart from a couple of weeks trying it, I'm not sure whether that's good or bad...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 04:59 PM

I would say it depends how bad your symptoms are and whether you can cope without as to the decision you make, then you have to look at family traits and factors and take a leap of faith one way or another.
Personally despite my GP pushing the tablets I refuse to take them if I can get through this without I will. Not easy or nice at the moment but I am determined not to give in.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
An excerpt from todays paper:

"On February 15th a new study said women over 50 who are taking HRT had a hugely increased risk of developing ovarian cancer.
This week, another study says women taking HRT in their fifties could slash the risk of heart disease and premature death.
So what the hell do we do? Do we take it nor not?"

Fortunately this doesn't affect me, as I never took it anyway, but this type of conflicting information must cause a dilemma for some.

This happens time and again. We're told what's best one minute, then after half the women in the nation are doing it, they change their minds. I wish the bods would make sure of their facts before they publish information.
And not so long ago they were saying the opposite - that HRT increased cardiovascular risk…

I had years of waking almost every hour due to hot flushes, but I still didn't take HRT. Not that I think people shouldn't take it, but just not for me unless there was no option.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I would say it depends how bad your symptoms are and whether you can cope without as to the decision you make, then you have to look at family traits and factors and take a leap of faith one way or another.
Personally despite my GP pushing the tablets I refuse to take them if I can get through this without I will. Not easy or nice at the moment but I am determined not to give in.
Julie, I'm concerned if your GP is pushing HRT for you with your cancer history???
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 05:49 PM

I think they make it up as they go along, to be honest. I was put into surgical menopause last year and was told not to take hrt because some women are still on it in their 70's because they're scared to come off it. I've been exceptionally lucky because I can't say I've had any symptoms, other than the duvet off/on all night! I sometimes wonder if my antidepressant has helped me through.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Julie, I'm concerned if your GP is pushing HRT for you with your cancer history???
I don't think they read the notes to be fair they don't have time I would guess. It's important to do your own research AND make them aware of you history each visit IMO
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 06:26 PM

I don't think they read the notes to be fair they don't have time I would guess. It's important to do your own research AND make them aware of you history each visit IMO
There's a failing in your practise as everything is online and it should "warn" of a mis- prescribed drug. Sorry to hear that. You are being failed which is awful.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
There's a failing in your practise as everything is online and it should "warn" of a mis- prescribed drug. Sorry to hear that. You are being failed which is awful.
They do have computer problems a lot, usually hand write notes to be put into the system after the consultation. Currently they have lost my husbands prescription he put in last week, it has been written and signed, they just can't find it. I went round as many local chemists on Friday as I could to see if it had been sent to one of them but no luck so far. It's like a French farce at times.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

15-03-2015, 06:44 PM

They do have computer problems a lot, usually hand write notes to be put into the system after the consultation. Currently they have lost my husbands prescription he put in last week, it has been written and signed, they just can't find it. I went round as many local chemists on Friday as I could to see if it had been sent to one of them but no luck so far. It's like a French farce at times.
I'm speechless That just is not good enough. My goodness, my docs are gods compared to that lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top