Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 01:31 AM

Make him a cuppa

I read something quite amusing in the paper.

Apparently up to half a million tradesmen, mainly Electricians, Plumbers, and Heating engineers regularly have lady customers offering them a romp rather than pay their bill !
What's more, 5,000 of the men admitted taking them up on it.

Gardeners and painters are less likely to be propositioned, probably because they are either wet and muddy or covered in paint!

Federation of Master Builders, Andy Stevens, reckons he was propositioned three times.

However, the top ten gripes of tradesmen were:

1. Not being offered a cuppa!
2. Late payers.
3. Offered sex instead of pay.
4. Asked to do ' quick' other jobs for free, while he's there.
5. Being told a job was an emergency, when it wasn't.
6. Being watched.
7. Customers buying their own materials.
8. Paperwork.
9. Fixing another tradesman's bad work.
10.Customers changing their mind during the job.

So there you go -
Just make him a cuppa and cough up.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 01:44 AM

Re: Make him a cuppa

Number one, especially among the younger customer. No etiquette or manners whatsoever. I've even had some of those make and drink a cuppa for themselves and not even ask me.

Have had all of the others except for the being offered sex one, number six and number nine being the most irritating. When someone has made a complete balls-up of a bit of DIY electrics, they are then looking over your shoulder to see what they've done wrong. Then there's the "I could have done this myself but the wife wouldn't let me" routine. Yeah, right.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 02:15 AM

Wen I was working with British telecom I had a job in Wandsworth to provide a telephone extn in a bedroom. After I had completete the installation the coloured gentleman offered me his wife to erm "enjoy" instead of paying the installation cost Obviously I refused, so his next offer was not only his wife but also his daughter. I couldn't get out fast enough outside. The flat on the second floor up there was a corridor to other flats ,so I stopped to get over the shock

A lady came along and asked if I was ok a she was a district nurse. I told her about what i had been offered and she aid thats nothing in this area. She said a flat further along the woman had just given birth, the husband went to the pub to celebrate and came back and had intecourse again . yet another coloured couple but it turned me right over when she said that

This is absolutely true and our area had a black book on certain premises where we would only go in paired up with another engineer. This was because customers were making claims about damage , even where the engineer neve a working

Oh yes in the 24 years of working with BT in houses and business premises you came up against all sorts of people

Having been on that side of the fence, now any tradesmen that do work here always get offered a coffee or tea. I know what it is like dying for drink and not being offered one
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 02:49 AM

I have clearly lived a sheltered life .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have clearly lived a sheltered life .
Me too.

Here I was thinking all this time that a plumber was expected to to do plumbing...

Not...well.....

plumbing.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 08:24 AM

A Tradesman should only get an OO with Typhoo.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 08:26 AM

I’ve always either been offered a cup of tea or , asked ( very politely, or jokingly) for a tea or coffee, now any contractor that comes to the nursing home where I work, always gets offered a drink, same. At home, and , apart from some harmless flirting, I was never offered a bit of the other..
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 09:24 AM

I always offer tea or coffee I think offering a bit of the other was wishful thinking on the part of the journalist....it made a good headline and has us all discussing it
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I always offer tea or coffee I think offering a bit of the other was wishful thinking on the part of the journalist....it made a good headline and has us all discussing it
The version I read stated ...

Heating engineers get customers steamed up, while electricians spark plenty of saucy offers too ... Gardeners are less likely to rake over bedding and decorators tend to be brushed off.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I read something quite amusing in the paper.

Apparently up to half a million tradesmen, mainly Electricians, Plumbers, and Heating engineers regularly have lady customers offering them a romp rather than pay their bill !
What's more, 5,000 of the men admitted taking them up on it.

Gardeners and painters are less likely to be propositioned, probably because they are either wet and muddy or covered in paint!

Federation of Master Builders, Andy Stevens, reckons he was propositioned three times.

However, the top ten gripes of tradesmen were:

1. Not being offered a cuppa!
2. Late payers.
3. Offered sex instead of pay.
4. Asked to do ' quick' other jobs for free, while he's there.
5. Being told a job was an emergency, when it wasn't.
6. Being watched.
7. Customers buying their own materials.
8. Paperwork.
9. Fixing another tradesman's bad work.
10.Customers changing their mind during the job.

So there you go -
Just make him a cuppa and cough up.

As an installer, I have experienced eight out of the ten listed. I'll let you decided which ones.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top