Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 07:40 PM

Re: Make him a cuppa

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I always offer a drink to trades people, my gardener likes black coffee no sugar, but the others I've seem recently have all refused, mainly due to having a drink before coming to me.
My handy man I could easily offer more than money to, he is gorgeous, but sadly young enough to be my great grandson.

Edited to say, perhaps young enough to be only my grandson.
Tiffany....you hussy....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Funny thing, this topic coming up now.
Just last week at my place of volunteering, one of the gentlemen spoke up and said he remembered me from twenty years ago. I asked the circumstance and he replied.
"Your hubby asked me to come and weld a part of your wood stove liner. When I had finished, you came downstairs and asked me if I would like a cup of coffee. You were gracious, and I never forgot it."

Moral of the story....what you do today follows you into tomorrow.
So lovely of him to share the good deed.
Right Now, The tradesman said, ‘He will never forget it.’

Oh! Does this mean, you didn’t have any clothes on at the time?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 08:15 PM

I always offer plenty of Tea or Coffee and biscuits, or Soft drinks, to tradesmen as they are local and I know them..

And I also offer fresh Sandwiches and ask which filling they prefer at Lunchtime too.

A Tree Surgeon is calling on Sunday and although it is twenty years ago since I last saw him, he still remembers my Tea.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Tiffany....you hussy....
I would never do anything about it though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I always offer a drink to trades people, my gardener likes black coffee no sugar, but the others I've seem recently have all refused, mainly due to having a drink before coming to me.
My handy man I could easily offer more than money to, he is gorgeous, but sadly young enough to be my great grandson.

Edited to say, perhaps young enough to be only my grandson.

Ah well Tiff, it seems the 'in thing' now to have big age gap relationships.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ah well Tiff, it seems the 'in thing' now to have big age gap relationships.
I sadly don't think he'd be interested. He is married with a cheeky 3 year old daughter.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
I always offer plenty of Tea or Coffee and biscuits, or Soft drinks, to tradesmen as they are local and I know them..

And I also offer fresh Sandwiches and ask which filling they prefer at Lunchtime too.

A Tree Surgeon is calling on Sunday and although it is twenty years ago since I last saw him, he still remembers my Tea.

Me too, Azure.

I also know my computer man has a liking for Kit Kats, so I ususally get him one to have with his cuppa.
The builders here recently had cake with their teas too.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Right Now, The tradesman said, ‘He will never forget it.’

Oh! Does this mean, you didn’t have any clothes on at the time?
I can be unforgettable even with my clothes on.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I always offer tea, coffee or squash to any tradesman who comes here.
Once someone told me to wait until they finished all the paperwork as you could be charged for the time whilst they drank the tea or coffee.

When l did hairdressing in people’s homes, l always refused an offer of tea or coffee, as l had tasted some pretty horrible tea in my time.
A cuppa always makes a tradesman feel welcome and gets the working relationship off to a good start. They are less likely to go beyond their remit with some old grump looking over their shoulder saying they could have have done it if they wanted to.

In my time as a tradesman I have enjoyed tea, coffee, curries and even barbecues but have always given more in return. So don't worry about the time it takes to drink a cup of tea, it is mostly appreciated. I have also thrown a few teas down the sink
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I read something quite amusing in the paper.

Apparently up to half a million tradesmen, mainly Electricians, Plumbers, and Heating engineers regularly have lady customers offering them a romp rather than pay their bill !
What's more, 5,000 of the men admitted taking them up on it.

Gardeners and painters are less likely to be propositioned, probably because they are either wet and muddy or covered in paint!

Federation of Master Builders, Andy Stevens, reckons he was propositioned three times.

However, the top ten gripes of tradesmen were:

1. Not being offered a cuppa!
2. Late payers.
3. Offered sex instead of pay.
4. Asked to do ' quick' other jobs for free, while he's there.
5. Being told a job was an emergency, when it wasn't.
6. Being watched.
7. Customers buying their own materials.
8. Paperwork.
9. Fixing another tradesman's bad work.
10.Customers changing their mind during the job.

So there you go -
Just make him a cuppa and cough up.
I think our tradesmen enjoyed coming to our home.
We had two landscape gardeners laying paving in a section of our garden last year. They would arrive around 8.30 am, and start work immediately, at 9.30am I would take them two mugs of tea and two sausage baps on a tray, accompanied by a bottle of ketchup and HP sauce. Needless to say, they wolfed them down. At 12 oclock, it was a mug of Latte Coffee and Chocolate digestive biscuits. and at 3 pm it was a mug of tea with a Greggs Sausage Roll or three rounds of Cheese or Ham & Tomato Sandwiches to share between them.

They were such lovely young lads, and worked really hard, ensuring that they tidied up thoroughly at the end of each working day. It was no bother at all feeding those two youngsters as they worked. I know the difference between hardworking and shirkers, and I would not have been so accommodating if they had been the latter.

It was the same when we had the bathroom and kitchen done two years ago, only it was Bacon Baps for breakfast for those two.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top