Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Diversity? or Under Duress?

Got me tin helmet complete with Daisies, on......

There seems to be a lot of talk throughout the media of the need for ‘more diversity’ in the Oscars. I don’t know if it is just me that thinks - ‘’Well, regardless of whether the star(s) are black, white, Chinese or Mexican, surely it should be based on the fact that they should first make films that deserve to be nominated, not just nominated for the sake of it being because the character, film or director is “Diverse”.

To me, that smacks heavily of “Positive discrimination” rather than being more diverse.

There are, and have been some brilliant films portraying black characters, such as “12 Years a Slave” which won an Oscar 6 years ago, and the nomination this year for Cynthia Erivo who was brilliant playing the character of Harriet Tubman. She truly deserved her nomination.

The film “Parasite” a Foreign Film with subtitles won the Oscar for Best film this year. My thinking now is - Because itdeserved it? Or because of fear of those publicly lobbying for more Diversity at the Oscars. I know what I think.

What do you think?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 12:59 PM

Re: Diversity? or Under Duress?

I'm with you SG, positive discrimination is as bad as any other, merit should be the only criteria....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:01 PM

I agree.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:11 PM

Yep, "diversity" nowadays means positive discrimination .....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:14 PM

Hi

I am all for positive discrimination.

I would like to win the Miss World Competition.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:46 PM

I don't do diversity.

Even less positive discrimination.

If someone can't make the grade in their own right then sod them
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Seriously, and I know it's nothing to do with the topic, but a similar example, and knowing my view would be viewed by most as being that of an outdated old fart by those believing in 'Diversity' and 'forward thinking.

I have to admit some of this thinking really puzzles me. It's the same with insult against any member of the LGBT group is now a crime. Any member of the LGBT who believe that they have been insulted can now walk into a police station, fill out a form and action will then be taken against the person who has allegedly 'insulted' them.
Hello? What about false accusation? What would be classed as the difference between freedom of speech and giving an opinion and the LGBT person deciding to take offence at something said which was not meant as being offensive? I note there was nothing in the new legislation regarding insult being given back to those accused of hate crime against a LGBT member? Positive discrimation again?
No use telling me that they wouldn't do that, they are only human and some take offence at the drop of a hat!

It's a bloomin minefield out there, think I will stay indoors. it's safer.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 02:08 PM

Nowt wrong with a bit of discrimination, if you can make it in any field against a tide of discrimination, you deserve the trappings of what ever comes your way.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-02-2020, 02:23 PM

Don't get me wrong please Spitty, Discrimination towards any person or group is vile and should be thrown into the bin forever. What I am trying to say in my usual dumbcluck way is that although 'hate-crime' against any member of the LGBT group should never be tolerated, what is the position on false allegation? Would the police take action if the supposed argument started with a LGBT member starting the argument by insulting the person being accused of a hate-crime? or wouldn't that count as being counter 'positive discrimination'.

I'm just trying to find out what would happen in those events, nothing more. honestly!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I don't do diversity.

Even less positive discrimination.

If someone can't make the grade in their own right then sod them
This is the way I think too.

What I see is a proportion of each gender/race/culture being apparently selected for awards/jobs/etc. with no consideration of ability, be it physical or academic.

This can (and I'm sure does) result in the least able being selected in preference to the most able. That is a recipe for failure and even disaster.

It is well past the time for common sense to be restored.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top