Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Are You, Or Have You Ever Been A Panic Buyer?

I am not sure why there has been a great emphasis on the imminent shortage of toilet paper and it’s bound to cause panic buying.

They have mentioned, there may be a shortage of medicines and foodstuff if things go badly for Brexit and now it’s toilet paper.

Are you concerned about this? I remember the bread, sugar and petrol shortage and the shop shelves were empty, mostly through panic buying.

Will you be going out and buying loads of toilet paper and stocking up the little bedroom or shed with rolls of toilet paper?

It may be scaremongering but will it force you to panic buy?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Re: Are You, Or Have You Ever Been A Panic Buyer?

I think panic buyers are utterly stupid. When enough of the sheeple start panicking it creates a shortage where there wouldn't neccesarily have been one, all because of their stupidity and greed.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I think panic buyers are utterly stupid. When enough of the sheeple start panicking it creates a shortage where there wouldn't neccesarily have been one, all because of their stupidity and greed.
What percentage of the population - let's say in your town - do you think are like this?..MOst of them?..Half..only a few?..Serious question. I remember when I was a university student. I got wind of a petrol strike and I went to a local service station and filled my VW beetle's tank right up. It was the only time I've "panic bought" and the only time I ever had that tank over half full. It lasted me for weeks. There was no strike.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 09:41 AM

Nope, never have panic bought and never will.

I'm always amazed at the amount of shoppers at supermarkets (buying food) not so much on Christmas Eve, but on Boxing Day.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 09:47 AM

No, I will not be panic buying. With most foods or anything else I have enough to last two or three weeks anyway. It is not easy to resist the lure of panic buying when there is 'news' indicating there may be shortages. It is I reckon to a degree part of human nature, the survival part, especially when it comes to various foods. Not sure where toilet rolls or fuel fits into that but it's probably similar in that both are part of our survival in our lives.

All that panic buying will do is to ensure further shortages of that commodity, possibly with price increases to follow too. Also if there is a severe shortage of anything supplies are going to run out anyway, so the rumour turns to fact, but you are probably still going to run out of whatever it is.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 10:29 AM

During a sugar shortage many years ago after a desperate plea from friends and relatives I brought a car load of sugar back from the continent....and I do mean a car load. Sugar being so heavy the car was down to the axles and I was stopped, car was stripped and searched at customs which took hours and they were non to carefull how they did the stripping either.

I had broke no laws so eventually carried on only for said friends and relatives to ask " Is that all you could get for me?"

I have never got involved in stock piling again just in case supermarkets started doing what customs did.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 11:12 AM

In the 1960's my father in law worked for a huge car manufacturer in Dagenham and was often on strike so my mother in law kept cupboards and a huge larder absolutely bursting with tinned/packet food due to this. They were also the first people I knew to buy a chest freezer to enable them to buy whole sheep and/or pigs (butchered of course). I had never seen anything like it - and never have since.

Sorry, that was slightly off topic but the post reminded me of it. Personally, I wouldn't panic buy. If there is a shortage of toilet paper then we shall have to go back to tearing up newspapers like when I was a child!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Only time we ever panic brought was when we were in the lake district and they announced petrol shortages on the monday. We were driving a large campervan towing a caravan at the time so we filled the van tank, and bought a lot of smaller containers and filled them over the weekend. Just so we knew we could get home. Nice idea to just stay put but we didn't want to lose our jobs if we were stuck for another week.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I am not sure why there has been a great emphasis on the imminent shortage of toilet paper and it’s bound to cause panic buying.

They have mentioned, there may be a shortage of medicines and foodstuff if things go badly for Brexit and now it’s toilet paper.

Are you concerned about this? I remember the bread, sugar and petrol shortage and the shop shelves were empty, mostly through panic buying.

Will you be going out and buying loads of toilet paper and stocking up the little bedroom or shed with rolls of toilet paper?

It may be scaremongering but will it force you to panic buy?
Ask yourself what would you use in place of toilet paper ?
I have bought quite a few 24 roll packs .

Re panic buying ,daft I know but when those of us who for years had used LincOBeer shampoo learned the American compuany were discontinuing it therefore the UK supplier couldn't market it there was panic buying on eBay , me included paying well over the odds for sachets some clever people had in stock .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
. Personally, I wouldn't panic buy. If there is a shortage of toilet paper then we shall have to go back to tearing up newspapers like when I was a child!
I would never use newspaper on my intimate parts . How on earth are our sewage pipes going to cope with it for another thing ? We're already told wipes are blocking pipes ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top