Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Poor Mans Game

Poor Mans Game
If you like something a bit different try this, very easy! The man can't have been that poor to afford the leg of lamb! These are my quantities, you can adjust to taste. The result is a succulent meat that melts in your mouth.

1 leg med. of lamb (NOT FROZEN)
Couple of cups of decent red wine
Half cup olive oil
5 crushed garlic cloves
Half teaspoon Juniper Berries crushed (about 5)
Half teaspoon crushed black pepper corns
Small teaspoon of coriander seeds (crushed with rolling pin if you don't have a P/M)
Couple of bay leaves
Few strips of orange rind
small onion thinly sliced
4 good sprigs of Rosemary roughly chopped
Good half teaspoon salt

Mix this lot in a bowl then put in a plastic bag with the lamb excluding as much air as you can and tie the top of the bag, then stand in a bowl in the fridge. A couple of times a day for 3 days turn the bag to make sure the lamb gets the marinade all over.

Now remove the lamb from the bag ,dry with kitchen roll and rub with oil then roast in a roasting pan as normal to taste (approx 25mins per pound + 25 mins @ 200c for me).

Strain and retain the marinade, boil to reduce a little and use a couple of tablespoons combined with the juices from the meat and whatever you normally use to make gravy to produce a rich sauce. Serve the lamb with redcurrant jelly and veg. I think creamed potatoes go best with this because it is so rich , and veg of your choice ...my pref. cooked red cabbage/carrots/sprouts.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2011, 12:57 AM

Re: Poor Mans Game

Meg, that sounds delicious

My only concern would be having the lamb stay in the fridge for 3 days. Would it not start 'turning'? I'm a bit funny with meat, and I know back in our Grandmothers' time, you could keep meat out of the fridge for days, because they didn't have one
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2011, 10:56 AM

Re: Poor Mans Game

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
Meg, that sounds delicious

My only concern would be having the lamb stay in the fridge for 3 days. Would it not start 'turning'? I'm a bit funny with meat, and I know back in our Grandmothers' time, you could keep meat out of the fridge for days, because they didn't have one
Hi Carmen the lamb needs to be fresh not frozen. The wine and spices act as a preservative though three days in a fridge is not long to keep fresh lamb
You could do it for two days but the flavour will not have penetrated quite so far into the lamb

You could also try it with cutlets or chops reducing the quantity of marinade and marinading them for a few hours or overnight then grill them

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top