Join for free
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 01:35 PM

Cate's warming soup

I was told that people in America who suffered floods were cooking this warming soup for comfort which it certainly is.

1lb of black beans (I used black turtle beans)
Remains of ham left overs or a ham hock or shank.
2 bay leaves
5 cups of water ( about 1 1/2 pints)
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tbs oil
1 large onion ( I used two)
1 sweet potato or 2 large carrots
2 parsnips
2 celery sticks
4 garlic cloves
1tbs ground cumin
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 cups chicken stock
1 red bell peopper ( I only had a yellow one)

I soaked the beans over night in lots of water then in the morning drained them placed them a pot with the water, bay leaves and ham hock if using and bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook until the beans are tender.

Remove bay leaves and ham hock, cut the meat away from the bone and cut into small bite sized pieces and put aside for later.

Heat oil and fry the onions, celery, sweet potato or carrots and parsnips until lightly browned and softened (about 10 minutes) Reduce heat add cumin, chilli powder and garlic cook for 2 more minutes stirring all the time.

Add the beans and the cooking liquid, chicken stock and bell pepper. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-30 mins.

Put cooled soup into a blender and puree until smooth return to the pot add the ham pieces and its ready.

The recipe called for 1 tablespoon of molasses to be added with the stock, I didn't have any and don't fancy it any way if you do add molasses then you need to add lime juice to taste.

I found this recipe on SmplyRecipes.com and it is gorgeous.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top