Join for free
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 10:08 PM

Friends

The Friends Sofa is coming to Cardiff.
AND you can sit on it!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...rdiff-16872953

It's times like this I miss the cultural values of the UK.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 11:39 PM

Re: Friends

Hmm. All a matter of taste I guess. I have no problem admitting that I have had many a hearty laugh over the years occasionally indulging in an episode or two of this mostly inane but innocently joyous and occasionally very cleverly written show. Like Seinfeld it is a show about middle class nothing basically. But the thing that appeals to me is that it is harmless fun. It is isn't full of perverts and serial killers, vigilantes, angry lawyers, zealous doctors and bent cops. THere's no blood or decomposing corpses or body parts hiding in basement freezers. It's just silly fun. I think that's nice for a change - from the death and misery of the world. A lot of people like that. THat show has millions and millions of fans. That a prop from it draws fan worship doesn't surprise me at all. I don't think your heritage cultural values will be threatened by a sofa PS.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 11:41 PM

Are you joking?Because I was.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 11:45 PM

I have never watched this programme.
I find American 'humour' very different to ours.

(Apoliges, don't mean to offend any American members here).
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 12:21 AM

[QUOTE=Psmith;1778970]Are you joking?Because I was.[/QUOTE

No I wasn't joking. And how would I know if you were or not? People bucket stuff - and each other - all the time here. And they are often not joking. But no never mind mate. Sorry if I misunderstood. To each their own. But I agree with you Mups. American humour is very different to British. And Australian is different again. I think all 3 have their merits. What I think is sad though is when the Americans grab something Australian or British and do their own version (eg Rake, The Office, Kath and Kim etc)and they bugger it up. It just gets lost in translation. I heard they even tried to do it with Fawlty Towers but it didn't get past first base. Hear of that?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 04:26 AM

[QUOTE=keezoy;1778986]
Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Are you joking?Because I was.[/QUOTE

No I wasn't joking. And how would I know if you were or not? People bucket stuff - and each other - all the time here. And they are often not joking. But no never mind mate. Sorry if I misunderstood. To each their own. But I agree with you Mups. American humour is very different to British. And Australian is different again. I think all 3 have their merits. What I think is sad though is when the Americans grab something Australian or British and do their own version (eg Rake, The Office, Kath and Kim etc)and they bugger it up. It just gets lost in translation. I heard they even tried to do it with Fawlty Towers but it didn't get past first base. Hear of that?
This is very true, keezoy. UK had an excellent political drama series- "House of Cards" - starring the wonderfully sinister Ian Richardson. It was compelling viewing.

USA made their own version - supposedly because 'they' didn't think their audience would understand the intrigue that is British politics (what a laugh) - and it was absolute dross!
keezoy
Australia

08-09-2019, 05:05 AM

[QUOTE=Silver Tabby;1779006]
Originally Posted by keezoy ->

This is very true, keezoy. UK had an excellent political drama series- "House of Cards" - starring the wonderfully sinister Ian Richardson. It was compelling viewing.

USA made their own version - supposedly because 'they' didn't think their audience would understand the intrigue that is British politics (what a laugh) - and it was absolute dross!
Yeah we saw the original years ago. Brilliant. We watched it all again only a few months ago after watching the American version. Yes it went on and on and on. I thought there were some good performances. I like Robin Wright. But nowhere near as good as the original.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 08:57 PM

Well I love 'Friends' and have watched it over and over again. I would be happy to sit on the sofa and share a muffin with Rachel.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have never watched this programme.
I find American 'humour' very different to ours.

(Apoliges, don't mean to offend any American members here).
Agreed. As you probably know, my dear wife is from USA, Gone With the Wind country, so I have a lot of in-laws from there.

They wouldn't have liked Dave Allen.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top