Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 11:21 PM

Re: Will Poland or Hungary be next to Leave?

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Because there is always a back-lash. Remember the Calais predicament. People collecting sleeping backs and clothes and fire wood and just about everything and then taking it across the channel to those who set up camp , waiting to climb in lorries and illegally enter the UK.
The do gooders, who actually seemed to change their mind after the children, who weren't children, managed to wriggle through the system and were found to be in classrooms with the children of those who had previously called the Government for everything.
It's nice to know that do-gooders got their comeuppance. Perhaps they'd think again next time.

Mind you, I'm sure they wouldn't.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What do you think?

I appreciate that this is just conjecture on my part but have been reading today about these two countries - Poland and Hungary, and how greatly at odds they both are with the EU over immigration and their judiciary, with the EU threatening to take severe action against both.

P O L A N D.

Poland is in trouble with the EU’s charter that all members have to sign and stand by, that they do not interfere with the EU judiciary decisions.
According to the read, the troubles stem from Poland’s attempt to lower the retirement age of 40 percent of Polish judges by introducing an abrupt change to the retirement age. The European court ruled that a decision to lower the retirement age was unlawful. The EU has threatened to withhold Poland’s voting rights, but because of a mutual defence pact with its equally naughty neighbour, Hungary, and although both France and Germany have been highly critical of the Polish government’s increasing controls over its courts, this action of taking away it’s voting rights is highly unlikely.

Poland is also in trouble with the EU over Immigration quota acceptance. The far-right Law and Justice party’s anti-immigrant rhetoric has given the EU a huge headache because of its own failure with its Immigrant quota of North African migrants due to the refusal of Poland and other hard-line former Communist member states.

H U N G A R Y

Hungary with its Prime Minister, Viktor Orban in power since 2010, along with its ally Poland, has been at odds with the EU for quite a few years over the EU’s policies that it says are eroding democratic checks and balances.

New President, Ursula von der Leyen, has stressed that respecting fundamental EU values would be at the heart of her policies. The EU Commission is working on making EU handouts conditional on respecting democratic rules. Hungary angrily says that the EU has enough safeguards already in place to safeguard the rule of law and the distribution of EU funding.

Hungary and Poland are both big beneficiaries of BILLIONS of Euros in development funds EVERY YEAR! Wow! Now I know why both of these countries don’t like what is happening.
Surely, once the UK leaves, both of their money trees will be reduced to a trickle?

I also read that of course, Hungary could refuse to approve the general budget unless it gets guarantees there would be no special conditions attached to the EU’s handouts.

Both Hungary and Poland’s ruling nationalist parties have tight control over their media, academics, courts and advocacy groups, spurring the EU to launch an Article 7 legal process against both eastern EU countries.
Hungary again are very anti-migrant over quotas on their country. It has told Germany, ‘’We will decide who enters our country,’’ and demanded that it should be the member states who have the final say over who enters their countries - not Brussels!

W H A T D O I T H I N K?

My thought is that this could lead to both countries losing their voting rights in the EU making them push for leave. I don’t think they will though, for two reasons.

They are two of the biggest beneficiaries of EU handouts for development.

All of the other EU member states would have to give unanimous support to them losing their voting rights.

I can’t see that happening though. With Hungary, Poland AND Czechoslovakia, it would more than likely be a case of ‘’You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours’’ (Much like the Eurovision Song Contest!!).

What are your thoughts? Would you put a bet on either of these two countries to be next to leave? Who do you think will blink first? Poland, Hungary - or the EU with the Euro being in trouble? Getting rid of its two largest ''Hands out for money'' member states? Maybe their mindset may end up with these two out - Turkey in!! Unrealistic I know, but you never know!

Nope, wrong.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2020, 02:35 PM

I have met two very nice Hungarian people . They moved to UK for better lifes hoping their adult children would follow . One son did , the other married with a child decided to stay. Which naturally broke their hearts .

They tell me Hungary is a sad country and the people are kept down. Low wages paid making life difficult yet there are richer people who have nicer lifes . The son who stayed married well and earns good wages so his life is good. But for the lower waged it's hard to live a decent life .

They work hard here and love the UK . They see us as home and Hungary a place to visit to see their son and grandson

I know very little about their country but from what I hear it is very controlling , I asked about the EU membership and they said the people saw very little of the benefits
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I know very little about their country but from what I hear it is very controlling , I asked about the EU membership and they said the people saw very little of the benefits
It's like with the UK, only now you're in the process of leaving, it becomes apparent what you'll lose. Although that was predicted, but if you fool yourself by calling it project fear, you have to learn the hard way.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top