Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:30 PM

Re: The Decline of the EU (In Their Own Words)

[QUOTE=Solasch;1862085]If you remember, it's you and figures like jbr who keep telling the EU is in trouble because the UK left. The report doesn't see any problems arising from brexit.

I liked the report. The article is just one author's interpretation.[/QUOTE

By all means, keep burying your head in the sand....

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/0...-to-rescue-it/
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:48 PM

Nice book review. If you like the review I suggest you buy it.

Ashoka Mody The paperback edition of his EuroTragedy: A Drama in Nine Acts is*available in the U.S.*and*soon in the U.K.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Not really ... why do you ask ?
Just your words: "nothing to do with report", the report being the topic of this thread.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Just your words: "nothing to do with report", the report being the topic of this thread.

The one about the EU concluding that it's in decline according to their own review and investigating?

Ok consider it back on topic.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

24-02-2020, 06:45 PM

The one about the EU concluding that it's in decline according to their own review and investigating?

Ok consider it back on topic.
Their own words being (in the introduction):
And yet, the EU ultimately showed itself capable of the bold policy responses needed to extract itself from the crisis when it really mattered. Europe's economy and society have emerged stronger from these testing times – even if more work is needed to ensure that the benefits are felt by all.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 07:31 PM

Their own words being (in the introduction):
And yet, the EU ultimately showed itself capable of the bold policy responses needed to extract itself from the crisis when it really mattered. Europe's economy and society have emerged stronger from these testing times – even if more work is needed to ensure that the benefits are felt by all.

It's a lie, typical EU propaganda.

The report clearly shows what's going on. Unless your still not reading things and making things up
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 08:21 PM

Your budget suggests differently. The EU is in chaos because your 70 billion short on your budget. Nobody wants to pay extra and those that can are in fear of having the money taken from them by an unelected bureaucracy through the Green Deal back-door cash grab policy introduced by Van Der Leyen earlier this year. Those that do not have the money are in fear of austerity measures that will make up the shortfall ... you don't see this as the EU being in trouble when every member state is in decline and their second biggest net contributor just walked out the door, with its financial markets, universities, fishing waters, army, navy and air force ?

The UK government has a majority of 80 and a clear position on what it wants. The 27 want different things and I can't think of one of them that has a majority government. You stand no chance of getting anything agreed so guess what ? The EU will make the decisions for you just like they did with Singapore and the trade deal there.

Meanwhile, Japan, Canada, Singapore etc are all reconsidering their trade deals with the EU because one of the major bargaining chips that the EU provided as a bloc (UK financial services) is no longer part of those deals. They will want something else in return to make the deal worth while, or the deals will be off.

There is still no negotiating position for the future trade deal from the EU. Its due in about 2 days for review by the member states. So far, no sign of it ... because they all want different things and they do not want to lose out any more than they have already. The big question is, who gets thrown under the bus ... France, Poland, Netherlands, Denmark ? Can you imagine the disaster and the embarrassment if the EU can't agree a negotiating position and miss their own deadline ?

It certainly won't be Germany, they own you and if they start calling in their debts to pay for this 70 billion Euro black hole then Spain, Ireland, Portugal, Italy etc will be in a whole load of trouble.
Very interesting and very encouraging, especially this bit:

"...their second biggest net contributor just walked out the door, with its financial markets, universities, fishing waters, army, navy and air force..."

which summarises our major strengths in any future discussions.

The nearest equivalent to our financial markets is, I believe, Frankfurt. I don't think the Frogs have anything of any comparison. In any event, on a world market, we stand at the top of the tree along with America.

Our universities? Certainly our Russell Group (forget our ex-polytechnics), the members of which continue to attract potential students and researchers from all over the world. I believe a major factor in our superiority here compared to the EU nations is that of our language. It is the lingua franca (!) of the vast majority of the world, and it is not surprising that both English-speaking and non-English-speaking people prefer to come here and America, rather than EU universities.

Our fishing waters are extensive and are - obviously, going by recent events - a subject of jealousy of most EU countries.

Finally, our armed services are the envy of the rest of Europe, largely because most of those countries fail to pay the NATO required percentage of GDP for theirs. Despite the reductions that have been made over recent years, I believe ours are the best funded and certainly the best trained in Europe. Hence the reason why many countries throughout the world appreciate our help with the training of their own forces.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

24-02-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very interesting and very encouraging, especially this bit:

"...their second biggest net contributor just walked out the door, with its financial markets, universities, fishing waters, army, navy and air force..."

which summarises our major strengths in any future discussions.

The nearest equivalent to our financial markets is, I believe, Frankfurt. I don't think the Frogs have anything of any comparison. In any event, on a world market, we stand at the top of the tree along with America.

Our universities? Certainly our Russell Group (forget our ex-polytechnics), the members of which continue to attract potential students and researchers from all over the world. I believe a major factor in our superiority here compared to the EU nations is that of our language. It is the lingua franca (!) of the vast majority of the world, and it is not surprising that both English-speaking and non-English-speaking people prefer to come here and America, rather than EU universities.

Our fishing waters are extensive and are - obviously, going by recent events - a subject of jealousy of most EU countries.

Finally, our armed services are the envy of the rest of Europe, largely because most of those countries fail to pay the NATO required percentage of GDP for theirs. Despite the reductions that have been made over recent years, I believe ours are the best funded and certainly the best trained in Europe. Hence the reason why many countries throughout the world appreciate our help with the training of their own forces.

Spot on, JBR !

When I come to think of it, our trade is mainly with the top 4 GDP countries in the EU anyway. That means 23 member states don't really have much say in any of this. Of the top 4, all of them are in decline and most are bankrupt.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

24-02-2020, 09:34 PM

It's a lie, typical EU propaganda.

The report clearly shows what's going on. Unless your still not reading things and making things up
The text I quote is from that report you are so happy about because it tells how it is....
Either what I quote is true, or the report is not what you claim. Can't have it both ways.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

25-02-2020, 10:31 AM

The text I quote is from that report you are so happy about because it tells how it is....
Either what I quote is true, or the report is not what you claim. Can't have it both ways.
What you are quoting is from Junckers forward to the 2019-2024 report titled "Europe in May 2019. Preparing for a more united, stronger and more democratic Union in an increasingly uncertain world"

The report I linked to in my first post is the findings from the EU Commissions own think-tank who were instructed by them to investigate these claims and debunked everything in it. The report in my first post is a summary of those findings (there is a clue in the title of the thread).

Like I said - it's propaganda and false claims by the EU, typical of countries run by unelected cult leaders. The sort of propaganda you find in North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela.

So to answer your question, the report is what I claim, you're wrong (again) and you can't tell the difference between the claims (propaganda) of the EU and the actuality of any findings from their own investigations.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top