Join for free
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 12:25 PM

Pond water brown, scummy & murky.

My gardener was going, earlier this year, to clean out my pond & sort it as it has lots of sediment build up. He started doing it, but stopped as we have lots of newts in it & as they are protected you can't disturb them. There are no fish, a heron ate those ages ago. There is no pump in the pond.
I looked for a solution on line now the pond looks worse & have ordered these items from Amazon..
iQuatics 1kg Activated Carbon-High Absorption & Bermuda Sludge Bomb.
Can anyone tell me if these will work, I haven't had this problem before & the pond has been there for around 40 years. Thanks.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 01:05 PM

Re: Pond water brown, scummy & murky.

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
My gardener was going, earlier this year, to clean out my pond & sort it as it has lots of sediment build up. He started doing it, but stopped as we have lots of newts in it & as they are protected you can't disturb them. There are no fish, a heron ate those ages ago. There is no pump in the pond.
I looked for a solution on line now the pond looks worse & have ordered these items from Amazon..
iQuatics 1kg Activated Carbon-High Absorption & Bermuda Sludge Bomb.
Can anyone tell me if these will work, I haven't had this problem before & the pond has been there for around 40 years. Thanks.
Never tried those tiff, I used to keep a koi pond many years ago now and there was al sorts of stuff you could get to clear the water, I would give it a few days and see if the water clears up, you say the sediment has been disturbed, it may just need to settle back down again
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 01:31 PM

As Primus says, it can take a while to clear once sediment is disturbed, longer if you don't have a pump/filter. Using the sludge bomb will probably help to break the sludge down but I doubt if it will give you clear water. it sounds as though the pond balance has changed for some reason.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 01:48 PM

Thanks to both of you, it was a while since the pond sediment was disturbed, the brown scum looks horrible, the newts dont seem to mind, but I do.

Will see if what I bought works, when it comes that is.
Thanks again.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top